Noise from the radiator

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

This is my first post on here as I have just found the site.

I've just bought a house and had central heating fitted about 5 weeks ago. Everything seems to be going ok with it, apart from a noise coming from the radiators!

After a while some of the radiators start vibrating, and only stop when i turn the thermostatic valve down a bit. It doesn't appear to affect all of the radiators, only 2 of them. (in the bedroom and kitchen).

I've had a search through the internet and from what I can see it could be a problem with the thermostatic valves themselves? I had to resort the switching the heating off last night from the boiler as it was making a terrible noise, the loudest its been, at about 1am!

I've had to switch the radiator off in the kitchen with the valve from the opposite end as it is continually making a noise.

any help would be much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Just a posibility but those two radiators could be connected 'in reverse'. That is, the thermostatic valves should be 'flow-in' and the locksheilds should be 'flow-out'. The majority of thermostatic valves are one-way and will make a hammering noise if water flows fast the wrong way.

Not sure the best way to test, but you could try closing both ends, letting the rad cool then open both symultaneously and seening which end hots up first.

TRv's may not be bi directional meaning they should be fitted to the flow to the rad

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back