Noise from wall...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I am new to the site so sorry if i have asked the question in the incorrect place as this could be an electrical or plastering question due to the work that has taken place.

Basically i used to have an electric fire on the wall, i have removed the fire and where i had the fused switch i have placed a 30amp junction from here i have run a 2.5mm twin and earth down the cavity feeding two fused switches. This is to supply me TV and Sky box now wall mounted.

I have placed all cables (HDMI / satellite etc) in a channel in the wall everything was exposed for a week but in full use whilst i waited on the plasterer coming, no problems...

On saturday the plastering was completed and it looks great, on Sunday afternoon when the plaster was looking dryer (It had gone very dark then a,lmost pale like skin colour) i rehung the TV and shelf. All afternoon everything was great...

21:00 last night a rather loud noise which sounded like a loud crack came from the wall. This is no where near where my electrics or shelf and tv have been hung, it was approximately 2.4 meters from that work. The noise was like a crack noise or snap noise. It is difficult to describe. Then 30 minutes later the same noise from the other end of the room. It has done this approximately 5/6 times now which is worry ing however i cannot workout what it is.

The wall itself is the dividing wall of a semi detached. The wall i think is thermalite block with dot and dab platser board which appears to be approximately an inch think. This had previously been plastered which i have had reskimmed.

Any ideas what the noise could be? Any comments would help even if you quote you dont know and that what i have done sounds sound.

Sponsored Links
Impossible to say about the noise. But I have some comments on the other items from your post.

Basically i used to have an electric fire on the wall, i have removed the fire and where i had the fused switch i have placed a 30amp junction from here i have run a 2.5mm twin and earth down the cavity feeding two fused switches.

I hope that this junction box is accessible. It must not be covered over/ plastered in.
Also, was the original fused switch a part of the ring (eg two feed cables) or was it a spur (probably with only one cable). If the latter then you cannot add more sockets without a load-limiting fuse.

I have placed all cables (HDMI / satellite etc) in a channel in the wall everything was exposed for a week but in full use whilst i waited on the plasterer coming, no problems...

I do hope that the data (HDMI etc) cables do not share the same chase as the mains voltage cables. There should be a separation of at least 50mm between them.

Junction access is available.

It was already a spur, i will look into adding a load limiting fuse thank you for advice.

Chase for mains and HDMI are 450mm apart.

Sponsored Links
Can you clarify the term Load limiting fuse? I have added two fuse switches not sockets.. Is this what you mean or are you meaning something else? Your advice is greatly recieved.

If the latter then you cannot add more sockets without a load-limiting fuse.

If i replace the Junction with a load limiting fused switch, would this satisfy regulation?

If the latter then you cannot add more sockets without a load-limiting fuse.

If i replace the Junction with a load limiting fused switch, would this satisfy regulation?

Yes put a fused connection unit where the joint box is. Have the original wire as the feed in and the new one to your two fused switches as the load. This should then be ok, but your limited to the 13a max load of the fuse.

Thats an easy solution. Thank you..

Still not solved the noise problem in the wall though. :(

Yes put a fused connection unit where the joint box is. Have the original wire as the feed in and the new one to your two fused switches as the load. This should then be ok, but your limited to the 13a max load of the fuse.

I am going to carry that out at the weekend, as an aside if the cable is pulling too much (Greater than 13amp) although i doubt it with a sky box and TV. Would that cause the noises we heard? I would assume it would trip my consumer unit...

TV and SKY box wont be more than a couple of amps.

I guess you're not missing anything around the house? Dog, cat, hamster, wife?

What happened to the plasterer? :LOL:

Plasterer has been out to take a look. We have hair line cracks at every board joint. The joints match the number of loud noises we heard thus must have been the fresh plaster cracking/ snapping. Upon further investigation the joints when the house had been built had not been taped. When the wall was exposed to the damp of the wet plaster the drying process caused the cracks. Or so we think...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back