Noises in wall...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I am new to the site so sorry if i have asked the question in the incorrect place as this could be an electrical or plastering question due to the work that has taken place. I have asked in those locations also but wondered if anyone experienced in building may have come across this..

Basically i used to have an electric fire on the wall, i have removed the fire and where i had the fused switch i have placed a 30amp junction from here i have run a 2.5mm twin and earth down the cavity feeding two fused switches. This is to supply me TV and Sky box now wall mounted. Note: The junction can be accessed although i am looking to replace with a fused switch.

I have placed all cables (HDMI / satellite etc) in a channel in the wall everything was exposed for a week but in full use whilst i waited on the plasterer coming, no problems... My HDMI etc is 450mm from the mains cabling.

On saturday the plastering was completed and it looks great, on Sunday afternoon when the plaster was looking dryer (It had gone very dark then a,lmost pale like skin colour) i rehung the TV and shelf. All afternoon everything was great...

21:00 last night a rather loud noise which sounded like a loud crack came from the wall. This is no where near where my electrics or shelf and tv have been hung, it was approximately 2.4 meters from that work. The noise was like a crack noise or snap noise. It is difficult to describe. Then 30 minutes later the same noise from the other end of the room. It has done this approximately 5/6 times now which is worry ing however i cannot workout what it is.

The wall itself is the dividing wall of a semi detached. The wall i think is thermalite block with dot and dab platser board which appears to be approximately an inch think. This had previously been plastered which i have had reskimmed.

Any ideas what the noise could be? Is my house falling down....

Read more: //www.diynot.com/forums/plastering-rendering/noises-from-the-wall.354812/#ixzz2Ka3sLuif

Sponsored Links
Noise, like roof leaks, can "occur" in one place, and show-up in another.

If i understand you:

Why did you hang a shelf before the plaster was dry? Perhaps, remove the shelf ( and any other fixings ) and observe for 48 hrs?

Is the TV hung on fresh plaster/dry lining?

Were all your cables fixed without "straining" them?

This is a flat wall, and not a c/breast that you are referring to?

As you refer to a cavity i assume you have run the wires up the chimney flue.

But as the cracking noises are either side of the breast i would put the noise down to shrinkage of your new plaster.
Is there any cracks?

Noise, like roof leaks, can "occur" in one place, and show-up in another.

If i understand you:

Why did you hang a shelf before the plaster was dry? Perhaps, remove the shelf ( and any other fixings ) and observe for 48 hrs?

Is the TV hung on fresh plaster/dry lining?

Were all your cables fixed without "straining" them?

This is a flat wall, and not a c/breast that you are referring to?

The shelf was hung previously and the fixing had been left in for location markers etc. I hung the shelf the next day as the plasterer advised this would be ok.

Tv was hung on the plastered wall, fixed through the thermalite brick work.

Flat wall not breast.

Plasterer has been out to take a look. We have hair line cracks at every board joint. The joints match the number of loud noises we heard thus must have been the fresh plaster cracking/ snapping. Upon further investigation the joints when the house had been built had not been taped. When the wall was exposed to the damp of the wet plaster the drying process caused the cracks. Or so we think...

Sponsored Links
As you refer to a cavity i assume you have run the wires up the chimney flue.

But as the cracking noises are either side of the breast i would put the noise down to shrinkage of your new plaster.
Is there any cracks?

When I say cavity the board was dot and dab we a void of 15mm between it and brickwork. I have no c/breast I meant either end of the wall, however it now seems that the damage is every 600mm although not noticable until close inspection.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back