Popping noises in wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Sorry if posted in wrong area? Not sure where to post?

Can anyone help identify this issue?

Recently bought old house, 1928 ex council semi. South west facing.
Very loud popping/snapping noise coming from inside wall in front bedroom at height above dado rail across whole of wall in random places. Also now cracking noises in walls below window. Mainly happens when it’s heating up, and much worse when direct sunlight on front of house, 7-12 noon. Pops when cooling down and sometimes through the night now too.
• No visible cracks anywhere (to worry about).
• Guttering has been checked and is ok.
• Some historical rising/penetrating damp which is being sorted.
• House needs lots of repointing which is planned. Some holes which may have let water in?
• Surveyor advised to have wall ties check as black ash motor used. Could it be the ties that have gone and are expanding and contracting?
Any ideas? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Wall ties seems to be the first place to inspect.

You can remove a few bricks here and there, or get a professional with a 'scope.

Do the noises occur when the heating is on?

Are any walls dot and dabbed plaster?

Thanks for your reply.

Will get someone to look at ties.

Have not had heating on since march when i moved in but did not hear this noise at first - assumed because it was cold outside and noise worse when its hot.

Excuse my ignorance but not sure what dot and dabbed plaster is?

Ta!

Popping noises in heat is usually gutters/downpipes, how would 'checking them' prevent them from expanding?

Sponsored Links
What Fred said. Gutters by far the likeliest culprit. Nothing you can do about it, it's just annoying.

Thanks for replies.

Gutters have been repaired as they were leaking and fixed more securely to wall as they were loose. Down pipies have also been been securely fixed as they too were loose.

The noise does not sound like gutters creaking or expaning (as this can be heard faintly but is not an issue). It is a deeper sound resonating from the wall.

It only does it on one bit of the house - front wall near gable end of house.

Any more ideas?

A 1928 ex council house. I would suspect that you are unlikely to have wall ties, more likely 9" solid walls with blue brick DPC. You should check this before the cavity wall insulation and wall tie cowboys come calling.

Hi

Have cavity walls and bitumistic (sorry for spelling) dpc.

CWI (glass fibre/wall?) fitted 2005 and wondered if this may be contributing to issue as it may have got wet due to poor repointing in past and previous owner putting nails over front of house to hold up ivy meaning water could get in.

Could this be part of the problem? Could it have accelerated wall tie corrosion?

Its no good guessing and jumping from one thing to another - if this is serious enough to bother or concern you, then bite the bullet and get someone in to at least eliminate each possibility in turn.

The surveyor you mention, was that the mortgage surveyor?

thanks - bite the bullet I think I will have to do.

I do have a two builders coming to have a look next week. and yes it was the mortgage surveyor.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back