Red 100A light on the electricity meter and high pitch noise

I think you may find its the other way round.
If its a credit meter they can turn the supply off remotely when not paid or change of tenency, the light is normally on permanent except when they turn supply off.
The Landis gyr 5246c has the same Led

It's a 5 terminal meter with one switched and one unswitched output.

Sponsored Links
I have no idea - this is totally a guess. But suppose the indicator changes state every time certain amount of kWH is used. If you are not using a lot then it will remain in the on or off state for lengthy periods. (refers to John's puzzle)
Possibly, but the duration of the flashes seem to be extremely short, even when consumption is very low (i.e. flashes very infrequent) - so I rather doubt that that is the explanation.

As for "John's puzzle", I think I have probably found the answer, by finding the following in a dusty corner of my meter's manual, but it won't mean much/anything to me unless/until someone can help by translating it into some sort of English that I can understand (my highlighting in red) ....
Anti-creep
The Wh and varh anti-creep threshold is set at manufacture to a value appropriate to the meter rating and accuracy class. For a 4 wire meter connected with less than 3 elements energised, the value adjusts to maintain an appropriate current threshold level. Each Test Indicator LED is continuously illuminated when the meter's anti-creep lock is operating for kWh and kvarh respectively.
As I've said, I've only ever seen this happening with my kvarh LED, never the kWh one.

Kind Regards, John

I used to have a similar meter. Single rate, not econ7 though.

It had the 2 leds we are discussing.

Being single rate that doesn’t explain your 100A contractor Idea.

When I disconnected the load from the meter, for it to be removed the pulsing light stayed lit

Sponsored Links
Oh. Apparently anti-creep is to stop recording when power is less than a certain value. To prevent paying for spurious electricity measurement I believe. More detail would be useful, bit I think that's basically it.

I used to have a similar meter. Single rate, not econ7 though. It had the 2 leds we are discussing.
Was one of the LEDs labelled "100A", and the other "kWh", like the OP's? If so, did you ever see the "100A" one lit?
When I disconnected the load from the meter, for it to be removed the pulsing light stayed lit
Which LED are you talking about here?

Kind Regards, John

Yeah one was labelled 100A. Never saw it lit and never drew anything near that.

The other led stayed on with no load

Oh. Apparently anti-creep is to stop recording when power is less than a certain value. To prevent paying for spurious electricity measurement I believe. More detail would be useful, bit I think that's basically it.
Right - that's starting to make sense. At ~3pm this afternoon (when the kvarh light was on), I did not have my CH on, so no pumps or motorised valves - so, if fridge & freezer compressors were not running, then kvar may well have been quite close to zero.

Kind Regards, John

Yeah one was labelled 100A. Never saw it lit and never drew anything near that.
Fair enough - but I'm afraid that I still don't believe that it being lit means anything to do with 'drawing 100A' :)

Maybe, although you had a single-tariff, your meter was dual-tariff-capable (with a 100A contactor), or even was a single-rate meter using the same case (and a redundant second LED) as a dual-rate one?
The other led stayed on with no load
That seems consistent with what Detlef and I have been discussing in the last few posts (and what I've been experiencing) - your kWh LED probably lit continuously when current was so low (actually zero) that 'anti-creep' decided that it should not be metered.

Kind Regards, John

That again seems consistent with what Detlef and I have beemn discussing - the LED which normally flashes when electricity is being used, but will remain lit continuously if no, or virtual no, electricity is being used (not 100A :) ).
Reminds me. You can fit a light sensor in front of the led to made your own in house display.
One can, indeed, and some people have done just that.

Kind Regards, John

Suppose it kind of makes sense - "100A contactor is energised" is presumably what it means.
It's coming to look as if that is quite probably the functionality we're hearing about, but I wouldn't personally say that it 'makes much sense' to label the LED as "100A", just because that is the 'rating' of the contactor - after all, the meter itself is probably also 'rated at' 100A, even when the contactor is not activated.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back