electricity meter fault

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
possibly one for the DNO folks...
my electricity meter makes a loud grinding noise, noticed it this morning. I called scottish power energy networks, as i figured (Wrongly) they dealt with the meter. i was directed to npower, who have said not to worry about it, but they'll investigate and have booked an engineer for 3 weeks time. apprently this isnt an emergency, and everything is safe. i'm not sure how someone in a callcentre can determine if its safe.

should i be worried, should we avoid using all the high load appliances for the next 3 weeks? should i call back and push for an earlier appointment, or is it actually likely to be 100% fine for 3 weeks. i expect if the meter wasnt turning, they'd be out quick smart.

thanks for any pointers

Sponsored Links
Don't worry about it. I assume it is a mechanical meter. Perhaps the bearings are bit knackered, but it won't catch fire. It might even be saving you money by running slow.

I assume it is a mechanical meter. Perhaps the bearings are bit knackered, but it won't catch fire. It might even be saving you money by running slow.

Cancel that appointment, tell them it was actually your tumble dryer spinning! :)

Thanks folks,
as appealing as a lower bill is, i think i'll keep the appointment.
glad it sounds like nothing too serious, or dangerous, even if it is irritating as hell. maybe i'll get used to it, just in time for it to be swapped out ;)

Sponsored Links
Those older units do have their benefits, mine occasionally decides to go backwards, courtesy of the solar panels.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back