Meter disconnection

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just bought a (domestic!) property that, for mainly historical reasons, has 3 electric meters.

There's 3-phase coming in (via a triplet of 100A fuses); a 3-phase meter for an old swimming pool, one phase used for the house on a separate meter, and yet another meter for a granny flat.

Since I have no desire to pay 3 standing charges and have 3 separate bills, I requested the DNO come and remove 2 of the meters as I have no need of them.

Since the work looks pretty simple (remove some fuses so it's not live work, pull out meters &c - maybe an hour *tops*) I was expecting to pay the equivalent of what a spark would charge me for callout and an hour of time. Actually, frankly, I think it ought to be free - please come take away your unwanted kit.

The quote came back at £1,180!

I think my best option at this stage is to simply move the 2 meters onto a zero standing charge plan with nPower. Seems insane to me.

Sponsored Links
I think you should have talked to your supplier as it is their meter operator that should do this work.
The price you have looks more like a either quote for moving the whole meter position or the removal of two services (cut-out & meters)

You will also probably need an electrician to supply & fit Henly blocks to combine meter tails

Sounds like your DNO has quoted you for a service alteration.

Forget them, and contact your energy supplier, who will come and take away their redundant equipment.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back