does this sound about right?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My mum works at a shop, which had 3 phase when they moved in, and has ever since, about 5 years. However, they were getting 3 standing charges as they had 3 meters.

An electrician told the store owner that they dont need 3 phase (its mainly lighting load, about 12 rooms over 4 storeys, and theres lots of windows so its rare they use the lights). There are no 3 phase loads.

So for the last year they have been trying to get the 3 meters removed and just have one. Apparently one meter was paid to scottish power, and the other two british gas. How that came about nobody knows. So the owner arranged it so that in one morning, scottish power would remove their meter, and in the afternoon BG would remove one of theirs and connect all loads to the remaining meter. However she was told she'd need an electrician for the final connection, as they cannot touch her installation. Fair enough.

The day came and a meterplus man came. He removed all 3 meters and fitted a new one, in an hour, and connected all loads to the one meter. No electrician required. I'm guessing he had both jobs on his PDA and therefore decided to do them both at once. She wasted money having an electrician on site.

Why the hell did they privatise the electricity supply industry??? There seems to be a complete lack of communication, and it doesn't help that everything is sub contracted to the likes of meterplus etc! And you end up with situations like this where a premises pays one bill to one company, and another bill to someone else, for the same supply! :eek:

Sponsored Links
I came across a similar project about 10 years ago. An old co-op store with 3-phase for industrial fridge, converted to non food use. The new owners enquired about getting rid of the 3-phase, but were told it wouldn't make any change to the cost as the charge is for the kW used regardless of which phase it comes from. The premises had night security lighting and even had an off peak rate.

I would check out the available suppliers / tariffs and do some calcs before pursuing this further.

In the above instance the 3-phase allowed for a 300A supply instead of 100A. In the end keeping it was advantageous as this year they have installed 3-phase air conditioning.

Why the hell did they privatise the electricity supply industry???
Ask David Cameron. 2 reasons:

1) It was his party wot did it.

2) He knows the word to describe the person whose idea it was.

it's not the KW cost that's the problem..
if you have a 100A single phase supply, it cost less to use nothing than it does for a 300A 3 phase supply.. they charge a standing charge based on your supply capacity..

Sponsored Links
Why the hell did they privatise the electricity supply industry??? There seems to be a complete lack of communication, and it doesn't help that everything is sub contracted to the likes of meterplus etc! And you end up with situations like this where a premises pays one bill to one company, and another bill to someone else, for the same supply! :eek:
If there were three seperate meters then from an administrative point of view they were proabablly three seperate supplies. Presumablly at some point a previous owner moved one of those supplies to a different supplier (maybe the load on each and therefore the best deal was different)

If it had been one three phase supply then I would have expected to see a three phase meter.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back