Noise in the pipes!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello everyone... I am having a problem with banging sounds everytime I turn off the cold taps (quickly) or when the washing machine ends the fill cycle and so with the dishwasher... It really is doin my head in.

It seems to be related to the water presure, I have reduced it by closing the stop cock valve at the main entry to the house but this has slowed the water fill cycle. Although it has reduced the banging it hasn't cured it.

Can anyone advise please?

Paul. :idea:

Sponsored Links
Thank you for that fast reply :D ... Water Hammer? OK I will check the pipe work again as I know now that the bathroom has been changed around in the past :evil:

If you've had the pipes changed recently it could be there's a 'deadleg' there somewhere. It's a length of pipe that's been capped off so the water has nowhere to go. I'm not sure what causes it exactly but perhaps if some air is left in there it can compress when the water is shut off and the noise of the water hitting the end of the pipework causes the 'bang' you hear (guessing).

I recently had the same symptoms suddenly appear in my house (shutting cold water tap caused a 'bang') and then realised it was because I had shut off the cold supply to the combi boiler in the garage while I was doing some work on the house plumbing. Opening the valve stopped the hammer.

Zog.

Sponsored Links
a dead leg can act as a arrester for water hammer and compresses the air in the dead leg.

Thanks so much... :LOL: That really is some great info and I would say an accurate diagnosis as I have found not one but 2 dead legs :eek: in the Kitchen and Bathroom along the cold water flow. Cheers for the advise on this I will let you know when I have sorted it out.

Paul. :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back