Noise of central heating pump vibrating through my wall!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Boys.
Right, my neighbour's central heating is controlled by a fairly old boiler (which looks like a small hot water tank) and a pump. When the heating /hot water is on and the pump is working, both the pump and the pipes which run off it, vibrate. The noise from this is minimal like a low hummm in my neighbours house but the pipes sit on our adjoining, 2 layer plasterboard wall and the cavity must be amplifying the sound because in my house, and specifically behind my bed, the noise is quite loud.
My neighbour is helpful and co-operative and so before i attempt to insulate walls and add soundproofing, i wondered if there is anything i can put on the pipes her end to stop/absorb the vibrations?
I haven't slept properly in ages so any help or advice will be very greatly received.
Thanks.

Sponsored Links
I have come accross this problem before.

You could try turning the pump speed down with the switch on the side, but check that the speed is still enough to heat the radiators.

The last one we did was because the pump was old and worn. You might need to replace the pump, and make sure the pump and pipe work is properly fixed to reduce movement.

HI

try putting old piece of cloth between pipes/pump.

Old/worn pumps can do that. I've changed an apparently quiet pump which was causing noise problems elsewhere, and immediately thought the problem would be worse, because newly installed pump can take a little while to quieten because of air, and this time it sounded loud.

In fact "elsewhere" you couldn't hear a thing, so it was presumably worn bearings.
SO I'd change the pump - and use a Grundfos.

Sponsored Links
You might need to replace the pump, and make sure the pump and pipe work is properly fixed to reduce movement.

ChrisR said:
So I'd change the pump - and use a Grundfos.

You both seem to have missed the minor :?: point that it is not the OP's pump which needs replacing but her neighbours. :!: :!: ;)

You might need to replace the pump, and make sure the pump and pipe work is properly fixed to reduce movement.

ChrisR said:
So I'd change the pump - and use a Grundfos.

You both seem to have missed the minor :?: point that it is not the OP's pump which needs replacing but her neighbours. :!: :!: ;)

Two things Mr Clever Clogs Hailsham;

1) My first suggestion, which you ignored, was to turn the pump down. This sometimes works if the setting is too high, and costs nothing.

2) Yes, I realise that the pump belongs to a third party. But whether the pump belonged to the OP, their neighbour, or the Queen Of Sheba the only way of rectifying a noisy and possibly worn pump is replacement. Ownership is immaterial, and doesn't change this fact.

Instead of criticising those trying to help, perhaps you would like to offer your own answers to this problem.

I won't hold my breath!

1) My first suggestion, which you ignored, was to turn the pump down. This sometimes works if the setting is too high, and costs nothing.
I had not ignored it; it was just not relevant to the point I was making

2) Yes, I realise that the pump belongs to a third party. But ... the only way of rectifying a noisy and possibly worn pump is replacement. Ownership is immaterial, and doesn't change this fact.
But the OP said:
The noise from [the pump] is minimal like a low hum in my neighbours house but ... in my house, and specifically behind my bed, the noise is quite loud.
This does not sound like a pump which is on its last legs; so you solution does not actually address the problem. A classic "I've got the solution; what's the problem?" approach.

The OP actually asked:
My neighbour is helpful and co-operative and so before i attempt to insulate walls and add soundproofing, i wondered if there is anything i can put on the pipes her end to stop/absorb the vibrations?
So we have a minimal low hum which is being magnified through the wall between the houses into a loud noise

What's your solution? :rolleyes:

I have already made 2 suggestions. Still waiting for some constructive advice from you.

A classic case of "I'm going to criticise you, but have nothing of any value to add myself".

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back