Noise on phone line

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I recently switched my phone line from BT to a LLU provider. Voice calls working as normal, however I have dial-up equipment for work data transfer and the connection on this frequently fails/drops for no reason since transferring my line.

Is there any solution? Is this a fault on the LLU provider's network or are such lines just less reliable for this type of call?

Many thanks for your advice...

Sponsored Links
thats what the`re like - its the price you pay for cheap BB

Sponsored Links
The codecs used for voice calls are usually capable of recognising modems, de-modulating the signal and transmitting the raw data rather than the modulated signal.

I suppose using a dial-up modem on a broadband-enabled line is anathema to the service provider, so they may not automatically provide for it. The modem signal may then have to contend with things like a variable network propagation delay over the network, or a selection of different provider's networks, that is not a problem for voice, but will force modems to re-train, and possibly even drop their connection.

did you let the LLU provider also switch your phone as well as your broadband to thier network?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back