Noisey central heating pump

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Everyone,

I'm a new home owner and this is our first winter in our new house. I've been having some issues with my central heating system and was hoping someone could give me some guidance.

First off I have a oil heated water central heating system, after starting the system this year I bled the rads and noticed that a suprising amount of air came out before any water did (a good 2 minutes worth) on the top floor units. Once the heating started all rads heated up but the pressure in my system rose to 30psi. After some investigating i realized that the expansion tank was filling up with water, I changed it for a diaphragm type and the pressure is now stable.

The problem that's got me stumped now is there is a substantial amount of noise cin the piping when the pump turns on; you can hear it all over the house. I used a metal bar to "listen" to the pump and noticed that at the motor there is a slight hum but at the coupling and the pump there is a noticable knocking.

Could this noise be caused by some residual air still left in the system or is it a clear indication of a failing pump?

Thank in advance for all your help!

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the feedback!

I forgot to mention that the noise seams loader when the water in the system is cooler i.e. at start-up an just before stopping.

I don't know if this opens any other doors.

Thanks again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back