Noisey Pipes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, just recently, whenever we use the bathroom taps it sounds like someone is blowing a Viking horn! It's the cold water but it also blows with the hot tap as it refills the hw header tank. It also does it from the kitchen but not so bad. How do I fix this please, it must be driving the neighbors mad.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Sorry, I forgot to mention we can stop it blowing by opening another cold tap elsewhere.

Thanks Andy,
By cold water tank do you mean the hot water header tank?
I'll take your word and replace it but can you explain why it's making such a noise. It did seize up a couple of years ago, I had to clear the limescale away.

What happens is the washer in the float valve slowly wears out and becomes less rigid, so when the valve is nearly shutting off the water it causes 'water hammer'.

You could just change the washer but for the sake of a fiver change the whole thing. (and the fibre washer!!!)

Andy

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back