Noisy boiler.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys
I'm a newbee here and need some advise if possible.
I have just had a new central heating system installed in my bungalow and saved some space by having a combi boiler fitted in the loft space. All works well, only now I lay in bed and hear in fire up and run every morning. Its only a small thing I know, but it's driving me mad. Is there any material I can use to damp the noise. Can i build an acoustic box on say three sides? Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Must be a noisy one? What is it?
Loft flooring is....?

Can you describe the loft floor construction and type of insulation.

Whats the boiler mounted on?

Is the sound being transmitted through the floor, wall or pipes?

Tony

Thanks for the replies guys!
The Boiler is a new Ideal Isar 35 HE Condensing Combi Boiler
The bungalow has slates on all four sides so could not be mounted on an outside wall.
A wooden frame was made from the floor joists to the rafters and the boiler was mounted to that.
We have replaced all the ceilings with ½ inch plasterboard. The loft insulation is old fibre glass that will need to be replaced shortly. I’m not sure if the noise is being transmitted from the frame or just through the ceiling.
Do you think that thicker insulation material would do the job? I’m not sure that it has any sound deadening properties?

Sponsored Links
Even an Ideal Isar should not make loads of noise, especially only on ch.

What sort of noise is it making?

I have fitted lots of these in the past, including in lofts, and you can never hear them up there, in fact they are no noisier than some other combis even when in the kitchen :eek:

Thanks for the prompt reply,
The boiler seems to be functioning fine, the problem is that it is situated as I said in a bungalow and is one room away from the bedroom probably 15 feet from the bedroom and 6 feet above. Have you mounted this type boiler in a bungalow before? The noise is start up then constant running of the pump. Perhaps I’m just getting paranoid. But I would really like to reduce it if I can.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back