Noisy boiler

I am sorry what differance would it make it it were a isar! why would you need to remove the combustion chamber seal to see the pump in either a system icos or an isar as the pump is not in eithers :).

No one else knew that until Razor pointed it out, I`m sure you didn`t until you looked it up.

IMHO you must be careful offering advice in a field that you have no expertise in, blimey charlie its a minefield for those of us who are, as terrible mistakes can be made.

I am careful, I don`t offer dangerous advice, do you mean I shouldn`t offer advice or have the right to an opinion? Time and time again it`s being said `you shouldn`t be offering advice because it`s very dangerous` I`m not offering dangerous advice, why is everyone so interested or have an opinion on the advice I am giving? It`s a DIY forum I can say what I like, since when did the regular members become Moderators?

I know you keep saying that you are not a pro after you offer advice but you still insist on offering the advice.

Dangerous advice? wrong advice? what are you saying? I keep asking you to point out where I am giving wrong/dangerous advice, so far none of you have, so why the witch hunt?

You are a poster, same as me, I have no right to tell you what to post and vice versa.

Also you said "All this information as you chaps know is readily available within the MIs left with the boiler for the customer to do with what they wish"

This is correct.

not quite as on page one of all MI's they state you MUST not work on the boiler unless proven competant. not quite the same as being able to "do as they wish"

The MIs are there for the customer to do with as they wish. They can read, look things up and go into the boiler if they so wish, was my point.

By the way Corgiman, I am not trying to argue with you and have the utmost respect, just having a debate, which is a good thing. I know you know more about this particular field than myself.

I`m not an expert by the way but I have experience. ;)

Sponsored Links
I`m not an expert by the way but I have experience. ;)

Little knowledge can be more dangerous than no knowledge.
Yes, the owner can do with the manual that has to be left by law whatever they wish. That does not mean it is a good idea to start experimenting. Bypassing the discussion on safety issues with relation to this, it is easy to do more harm than good, ending up with a bill that is significantly higher than needed.
A lot of boilers I repair/replace are down to lack of proper maintenance. That can be doing nothing at all, but quite frequently people diy-ing things in such a way that it would have been a lot more economical if a pro had done it properly.
In the Kingfisher/bbu-age, boilers did not need a lot of maintenance to keep going. Big lump of cast iron with a relatively small flame under it, and virtually nothing else. Overall efficiency: sometimes below 50%.
Quite possibly they were spilling toxic fumes into the house like mad, but they kept going.
Today, we have efficiencies of up to 90%, virtually no chance of fumes leaking to inside, lots of contols, and a lot more power, but a lot more chance of killing the boiler by doing either nothing, or the wrong thing.

Nothing wrong with debate, part of the function of a forum.

Plumber for 20 years, gas fitter for seven years but not a breakdown engineer nor expert nor stupid as has been claimed.

Plumber for 20 years, gas fitter for seven years but not a breakdown engineer nor expert nor stupid as has been claimed.
That should surely be enough to know what is safe to do and what is not.
My personal view on breakdown repair work, for which I will no doubt get crucified, is that it is for a very large part a mindset after learning the basics.

Breakdown repair is about fault-finding. Faultfinding is in essence applying basic knowledge to eliminate what does not cause the problem until you are left with what does. To some people it comes "naturally", others will struggle forever. Same sort of thing as playing music, or finding your way in a strange city.
Intermittent faults are different, as are model-specific problems and a few other things. Those are mainly recognising things from knowledge; can be practical experience or from reading thousands of posts on forums and seeing the relation with the problem you are dealing with.
Women are much better at fault finding than men.
At least mine were, that's for sure.

Sponsored Links
That should surely be enough to know what is safe to do and what is not.

So I wouldn`t give dangerous advice and have not.

My personal view on breakdown repair work, for which I will no doubt get crucified, is that it is for a very large part a mindset after learning the basics.

Sounds like Boll*ocks but go on..

Breakdown repair is about fault-finding.

Really, is that why they break down then, `cause there is a fault.

Faultfinding is in essence applying basic knowledge to eliminate what does not cause the problem until you are left with what does.

like indigestion?

To some people it comes "naturally", others will struggle forever.

Not you Benny boy I can see yer a natural, jus`loik ya Muvvver! Gawd bless `er!

Same sort of thing as playing music, or finding your way in a strange city.

Keep talkin` Son, Mummys waitin` in that big rubber room.

Women are much better at fault finding than men.
At least mine were, that's for sure.

Time for Beddykins. If you resist it`s the rubber cosh you know the rules. :rolleyes:

Interesting.
So you know all about faultfinding and breakdown repairs, you are just not very good at it.

Interesting.
So you know all about faultfinding and breakdown repairs, you are just not very good at it.

Yep, that`s the top and bottom, very astute of you to realise that i am, in fact, an idiot.

No one else knew that until Razor pointed it out, I`m sure you didn`t until you looked it up.

Before you jumped in with your two feet first did you bother to read my early posting?

Can you tell me anything that I said that implies that I thought that it was a combi?

You seem to have constantly ignored basic advice to call back the installers. You have justified your "advice" on the basis that doing that is not going to be dangerous. That is just not the point. The point is that a customer should not be meddling with a system when its under the guarantee of both the installer and the boiler manufacturer.

Whilst you take the view that you can say whatever you like on a forum, my view is that a lot of what you are saying is obviously not the best advice. My advice would be that you read and learn before you launch forth with all this misdirected advice.

Tony

Before you jumped in with your two feet first did you bother to read my early posting?

I think it`s plain to see that neither me, you or rest of chaps picked up on the fact that it was not a combi until I said it wasn`t after a comment by Razor, the difference is, I admit I`m wrong.

Can you tell me anything that I said that implies that I thought that it was a combi?

You thought it was a combi alright, big deal no shame there, I`m a crap (but safe) no nothing gas fitter/plumber.

You seem to have constantly ignored basic advice to call back the installers.

You are not giving me advice, you are giving advice to the poster, it`s his choice wether he takes it or not, I offered an opinion. That is what people do on a public Forum, offer opinons, possible solutions, sometimes right sometimes wrong.

You have justified your "advice" on the basis that doing that is not going to be dangerous

With the greatest of respect, I don`t have to justify my advice, this is a diy forum, if I wanted I could explain to the poster how to check his burner/working pressures, take out his gas valve and replace it safely if i wanted to.
Why do you believe that your opinion is law?

The point is that a customer should not be meddling with a system when its under the guarantee of both the installer and the boiler manufacturer.

The customer can and will do as he pleases wether you or I like it or not.
It`s not for you nor me to be dictating what the poster should or should not be doing.

Whilst you take the view that you can say whatever you like on a forum,

I do so, same as you, I`m not giving dangerous advice out here, when I do then give me a hard time.

my view is that a lot of what you are saying is obviously not the best advice.

I respect but disagree with your view.

My advice would be that you read and learn before you launch forth with all this misdirected advice.

That is insulting, if the advice is misdirected I expect you to back up that claim, read and learn about what exactly? No doubt you will now go in to silent mode, having posted your opinion, you generally believe that your view once expressed is enough.

calm down boys,lol !

luckily I am well aware of not tampering within the anything whilst it's fully covered by both installers & Ideal, warmfront also extend the warranty to 2 years with 2 included services.

I will call them on Wednesday as we are out all day tomorrow & rest of today moving our daughters stuff to her new house.

I will post the result good or bad, I still reckon it's air but some of the noises sound like a mechanism clicking on & off which makes me not so sure but as it quietens down after a few minutes maybe it's nothing serious

I am pleased that you understand the importance of following that advice to ensure that you dont create any contractual problems.

Also I should like to say that I am sorry that you have had to endure the uninformed ramblings of Charlie above. He seems to think there is some advantage if he gives you "his opinions" which in many cases are obviously wrong.

The professional engineers on here all agree that you should proceed as you sensibly intend to do. Good luck, you have the advantage that you are entitled to a properly working system.

Tony

Also I should like to say that I am sorry that you have had to endure the uninformed ramblings of Charlie above.

Beneath you, and uncalled for. makes me sad.

He seems to think there is some advantage if he gives you "his opinions
"

It`s an opinion, simple as that. We all have them, it`s called democracy.

which in many cases are obviously wrong.

Funnily enough, can`t find anyone to back up their claim, wrong where/when?

The professional engineers on here all agree that you should proceed as you sensibly intend to do.

I quite agree, in the meatime, people with opinions will continue to post.

Good luck, you have the advantage that you are entitled to a properly working system.

I agree with whatever that is supposed to mean.

If you and your engineer friends would like to highlight my incorrect, dangerous or misleading posts, then do so. I cannot wait. I will then expect an apology from you. ;)

I fully expect you to not back up your claims and not reply, which will, in fact prove me correct. Shame really, I thought that you were a fair man.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back