Noisy boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi - our Worcester 24i boiler is becoming more and more noisy - it's like a loud whislte and breathing type thing and is really loud. I read that a de-scaler may help. Sorry for sounding silly - but how do you administer it?
many thanks in advance, to have a quiet boiler once again would be heaven.

Sponsored Links
First of all you need to determine what is causing this 'whistle'. Usually those sorts of noises are caused by the fan ceasing. However, if it is the system which is causing the noise yes it may pay to put some sort of inhibitor into the system.
Don't feel daft for asking how you administer it because with combis it isn't always obvious. I believe it is possible to introduce chemicals at the bottom of the boiler. This should all be found in the manufacturers instructions. But alternatively an easier method is to buy one of these inhibitors that comes in a tube, like silicone tubes these are available at plumb center, places like that. With these tubes you can simply valve off a radiator open the vent and inject the inhibitor into the radiator. And remember when buying inhibitor make sure it is compatable with combis as using some inhibitors can damage the diaphram in the diverter valve.
Give it ago!

check all screws are tight on the boiler front, it may be sucking in air if its not sealed properly. also the central heating water doesnt come into contact with the diaphragm on the diverter valve. and a 24i has a flow switch not a diverter i think.

Sponsored Links
Thank you both for your replies - my husband has taken the fan off and put it back on and it is nearly silent now. He needs to get a replacement fanthough - would you know a good place to get one? Are they expensive?
Many thanks again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back