noisy boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have a Ferroli sigma 40-60 boiler. only 2 years old. but seems to be kettling a lot (loud rumbling in the boiler/pipes ?) - is that kettling?

Would using Fernox Boiler Noise Silencer Concentrate 500ml help. Mine is an open vent system with hot water storage tank in the airing cupboard.

http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?id=44452 here is the item.

Do i just go in the loft and pour it in the small header tank? Or do I have to remove some water from the header tank first?

Thanks for your time and any comments/help very very welcome. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Its difficult for me to guess at your exact problem but putting the product into your system is not going to do any harm.

It would be better if you can put it into a radiator but if thats a problem then tie up the valve and with the system hot take out water until its only just above the outlet pipe, add the product and then let the system cool and it will suck some of the product in.

Keep the valve tied up for a few days and let in just enough water to keep the level just above the outlet when its cold. That will get the product into the system a bit quicker.

It can take a few weeks to see any improvement.

If the system water is very dirty or black then a different treatment will be needed and power flushing is one of the best.

Tony

Agile said:
Its difficult for me to guess at your exact problem but putting the product into your system is not going to do any harm.

It would be better if you can put it into a radiator but if thats a problem then tie up the valve and with the system hot take out water until its only just above the outlet pipe, add the product and then let the system cool and it will suck some of the product in.

Keep the valve tied up for a few days and let in just enough water to keep the level just above the outlet when its cold. That will get the product into the system a bit quicker.

It can take a few weeks to see any improvement.

If the system water is very dirty or black then a different treatment will be needed and power flushing is one of the best.

Tony

Hi Thanks for the advice. This product costs about £20, what would a reasonable figure for power flushing cost and what exactly is power flushing?

Just for info, I have 1 downstairs radiator and 4 x upstairs radiators + the hot water cylinder in the airing cupboard. (not a combi).

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Agile said:

It would be better if you can put it into a radiator

Tony

Sorry to sound stupid, but how/where do i put it into a radiator?

Many thanks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back