Noisy Bolier and Central Heating

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have what seems to be a very common problem with loud noises coming from my bolier so thought would try and get some answers if anyone can help me.

It is a Gas Boiler which is a Wickes one (stop tittering!) and is an open vented system. The noises are either a rushing of water through the pipes or load clangs like someone hitting the pipes with a hammer. The upstairs rads are always full of air, we have to bleed them nearly daily or they are cold. The system has been flushed out. The pump is on setting number 2 speed. One thing i have just noticed is that whoever fitted it has put the connections the wrong way round so that the return is going in where the inlet should be. Would that be likely to cause all the air i am getting in the system? Also the cold water feed and the expansion pipe are on the return pipe before the boiler and the pump is this ok as have read some where that it is not.

I guess it must be sucking in air from some where as we have to bleed rads nearly daily.

Any suggestions would be most gratefully read and acted upon :D

Sponsored Links
if pump wrong way round it could well cause air to be sucked into system, can you post some pics of pump and associated pipework,

If its piped/plumbed in as you state, I recommened you turn it of now and get a heating engineer round to put it right.

Check your small F&E tank in the loft is full of water before going any further.

Sponsored Links
I have taken a pic but cant post it directly on here so if you think you can offer me any help/advice/medication that will help i will gladly email it to you.

But basically this is what i saw:
The bolier is a wall hung and is upstairs in its own room.
The return comes up through the floor and then straight away has a T with a 15mm bore pipe coming of it and going up into the loft to the tank. It then has another T with a 22mm pipe going to the left which then goes up into the boiler. The right pipe goes up into the loft sitting next to the 15mm one. It is this pipe where the loud bangs are felt and heard in. Sounds like the water in it is expanding to quick and cant get down the pipe. It also sounds like it has air in it. The outlet then comes out and straight into the pump which then has the 3 way valve on it.
I know by the manual that the inlet and outlet are incorrectly connected up on the boiler but would this cause all the noise?

Thanks guys.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back