Central heating broke! Any help greatly appreciated!

Sponsored Links
It does sound as if you have no circulation.

The pump would be the first suspect!

Tony

It does sound as if you have no circulation.

The pump would be the first suspect!

Tony

Thanks again for the rrpiles, looks like i need to call someone out

Btw what are the "red turn wheels" for that are attached to the pipes? One is attached to a pipe that goes to the heater and the other one is higher up on one of the pipes. I only ask because i have been messing about with these too!

See pictures attached

If you are not getting a digital reading on the pump when there is power to it then the pump will be at fault..
The red things are gate valves, stop messing with them or ya could be creating more faults. The pics are too close to say what pipes they are on but I'd guess a balancing valve for ya cylinder and a isolation valve feeding the cold water to the cylinder.

Try un-plugging the wire to the the pump and refitting, it just pulls out (from the pump end). But like I said it looks like you will need to replace it

Sponsored Links
If you are not getting a digital reading on the pump when there is power to it then the pump will be at fault..
The red things are gate valves, stop messing with them or ya could be creating more faults. The pics are too close to say what pipes they are on but I'd guess a balancing valve for ya cylinder and a isolation valve feeding the cold water to the cylinder.

Try un-plugging the wire to the the pump and refitting, it just pulls out (from the pump end). But like I said it looks like you will need to replace it

Many thanks for the replies

Yep the pump is broke

British Gas are coming round tomorrow. They said if i took out their cover for £21 they would fix the problem for £99...

Just one more thing when i was in the loft i noticed a leak from the left pipe ( see picture ). It looks like it just needs unscrewing and the pipe pushed in a bit more

Because of the leak i have turned the tap off so no water is coming out now ( so of course i am not messing round with the heating now )

Just one final question. As you can see from the second picture the smaller tank does not have clear water...This isn't a problem is it?
I only ask because a powerflush is not under the BG cover

Thanks

British Gas are coming round tomorrow. They said if i took out their cover for £21 they would fix the problem for £99...

I very much doubt that they are going to fix it for just £21 plus £99 to make a total of just £120.

I strongly suspect its a MONTHLY payment of £21 which totals £252 in a year plus the £99 to make a total payment of £351 !!!

Tony

I very much doubt that they are going to fix it for just £21 plus £99 to make a total of just £120.

I strongly suspect its a MONTHLY payment of £21 which totals £252 in a year plus the £99 to make a total payment of £351 !!!

Tony

Yes sorry £21 per month plus £99
I thought it was best to take a year cover as well.

No it won't be a problem... wen bg turn up just make sure ya tell um what ya fiddled with as the system might not work as it should if the gate valves are set incorrectly.

Or perhaps the OP has closed the pump valves!

In the second pic of the drained f&e tank, it looks to me like the water level is now below the outlet?

[Just one more thing when i was in the loft i noticed a leak from the left pipe ( see picture ). It looks like it just needs unscrewing and the pipe pushed in a bit more

Because of the leak i have turned the tap off so no water is coming out now ( so of course i am not messing round with the heating now )

Thanks
If you start unscrewing the nut on that stopcock - chances are the cock will move and the connection to the tank will leak :cry: . It wants replacing with a proper tank connector then a piece of pipe and a modern full bore valve - forget BG cover and find a decent plumber - none of the work needs a Gas Safe person - just a competent plumber - good luck . Probably don`t need a powerflush either

[Just one more thing when i was in the loft i noticed a leak from the left pipe ( see picture ). It looks like it just needs unscrewing and the pipe pushed in a bit more

Thanks
If you start unscrewing the nut on that stopcock - chances are the cock will move and the connection to the tank will leak :cry: . It wants replacing with a proper tank connector then a piece of pipe and a modern full bore valve - forget BG cover and find a decent plumber - none of the work needs a Gas Safe person - just a competent plumber - good luck . Probably don`t need a powerflush either

Many thanks as ever for the repiles

BG came round today ( was supposed to be yesterday )

Anyway yes it was a faulty pump. So he replaced it with a new one ( same model )
Then tested the bolier , central heating etc. I guess he was here for about 70-90min

So the repair on it's own from BG would've cost me £199. So i have paid £352 but got the full year cover for the boiler / central heating without any excess payment for any future repairs

Now onto the water tank in the loft. He never touched the tank and also said i wasn't covered for it. However the woman i spoke to on Friday claimed i was! Anyway it turns out i am not covered for it because my poilcy is the homecare 200 but without any excess. I know on the BG website it only costs £11 per month but you have to pay an excess of £99

For an extra £7 per a month i can take out plumbing cover, but it's fixed now. Just unscrewed the nut on the pipe and put a bit of PTFE around the thread and pushed the pipe in full and tightened it ( not too tight )

I left some kitchen paper underneath ( past 8 hours ) the pipe and have been using the taps all day just checked the paper and there is a slight damp bit on it, so may need to tighten the nut again?

Yep didn't need powerflush i asked about the price and was told £700!

glad you got it sorted

90 mins to change a pump head with plug in electrics :eek:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back