Noisy Central Heating after Pump Replacement

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

A few days ago there was a banging\knocking noise coming from my boiler, it then went out and only the pilot light was on. I left it off overnight and tried it again the next morning, boiler fired up fine but after a minute or two the noise came back and it went out again. I called the local central heating company who this evening diagnosed it as a faulty pump and replaced the Wilo GOLD 60 (i think) with a Grundfos UPS2. This cost £200.

The engineers bled two radiators upstairs and switched the heating on, it came on and was fine, they then left a few mins later. At the point the radiators were just starting to warm up.

They had been on maybe 10 mins or so and the light on the boiler went out again, but there was definate heat in the radiators. I turned the thermostat down and then up again and the boiler fired up again, it went off and on a few times, perhaps it does this normally and ive just never noticed it being so quiet before due to the last noisy pump. Anyway the radiators seem to be heating up ok but there is quite a bit of noise every 5 mins or so which seems to go through the whole system, kind of like a gurgling knocking noise and you can hear it come from downstairs to upstairs. I thought maybe air in the system so i bled all the radiators with some air coming out, not too much.

Anything else i can check, should the engineers have checked this for me? I definatley didnt have this noise before, although i could always hear a whooshing noise, just like water through the pipes, maybe there was some air but not as noisy as it is now. On the up side the pump is a lot quieter.

Sponsored Links
Only bleed when the system is turned off and check for any air valves near the pump/cylinder and bleed them.

Then bleed again in 24-48 hrs

Andy

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back