Noisy Central Heating System

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

About 15 months ago We had our boiler and Hot water tank replaced. Additionally we had thermostats fitted to our rads and our small expansion tank in the fitted wardrobe was replaced with a nice shiny pressure cylinder for the new sealed system.

Our 20 yo'ish Netaheat boiler was replaced with a Potterton Suprima 30-100 and all was good until this week. I'm guessing this may be related to the warmer weather but when we got back from a weekend away we noticed quite a loud rushing and gurgling noise when the boiler came on this morning. When I tried the system again this evening it was the same (thought it is still working OK).

At the moment we are only using the system for an hour or so in the morning to heat water for showers, so the rads are not in use (CH is off and HW is on from 4.30 to 6.30 though it usually clicks off before then). The noise sounds as if it is coming up from the boiler (in understairs cupboard on ground floor) through the pipe work into the HW tank (in the airing cupboard on the first floor). It sounds either like there is a blockage which periodically jams and then clears or perhaps air bubbles causing a loud gurgling sound. Our pump is on the first floor by the HW tank.

Not having experience of the sealed system I'm not sure how to proceed. Will bleeding the radiators make any difference?

I'm guessing its a good point to start but wanted to check first.

Many thanks for any and all information.

Sponsored Links
Dont touch the radiators!

The installer should have advised you how to reprerssurise the system.

There should be a gauge and filling loop somewhere, often near the expansion vessel.

Repressurise the black pointer to about 1.5 Bar and all should be fine!

Tony

Thanks,

I wasn't here when the handover was done as I was at work but my father took notes for me. Reading through it says the following...

" header tank in the bathroom is set at just under 1 bar and is pressurized via mains water. If at any time you need to take a radiator off you must re-pressurize the system by opening the valve near the tank guage and setting as above. Heating must be cold."

Looking at the valve just now it is well below 1 bar so will adjust that tonight when the system is cold.

For what its worth I tried putting the heating on this morning and noticed the tops of the rads were cold whilst the bottoms were warm. Will adjusting the pressure fix this also?

Will do it tonight in any case, just curious though.
Thanks again!

Rob

No, they need bleeding.

If you are bleeding the rads you MUST keep the pressure topped up as you go along.

Tony

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back