noisy central heating

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Had a new combi boiler fitted 2 years ago and works well. however, for the last few months there is a fairly rapid hammering sound each time the boiler kicks in to maintain room temperature. The noise permeates through the house but is loudest in a particular upstairs bedroom beneath the radiator. This noise is not consistent with pipe expansion - it is too fast. What is causing it please and how can it be cured? Ps did change a downstairs rad few months ago but it is working well. I have also changed sink taps.

Sponsored Links
It seems with condensate boilers they have traps which over time fill up with rubbish and need cleaning out on a regular basis, so maybe it needs a service where they clean out these traps, but really this is not an electrical question you need to ask moderators to move the thread.

Many thanks for replying. I thought I had posted in the central heating forum. Having searched wasn't there so I assumed some technical delay. I have now requested Admin to move it. cheers kevin

It seems with condensate boilers they have traps which over time fill up with rubbish and need cleaning out on a regular basis, so maybe it needs a service where they clean out these traps.

What has this got to do with anything that the OP asked????

Sponsored Links
OP:"My central heating is noisy, what could it be?"

EricMark: *scratches head and thinks to himself*, well from this info we can rule out pipe clips and the pump, the only explanation must be a trap. Noisy buggers those traps.

When the noise starts, try turning the head of the (presumed) thermostatic valve on the offending radiator. If noise stops, change the thermostatic valve for a good quality one like Drayton or similar.

I got some of googling sounds when my mothers trap got filled up. Also same sound when the condensate drain froze, also plumes of water vapour from flue.

As already stated there are other causes of noise, old TRV's would hammer if fitted wrong way around, but only been fitted two years so should have by directional valves fitted.

Again I know mothers boiler has two by-pass valves one exterior and one inside the boiler, I will guess it should not have two, so they could react with each other. There was a whole list of what I consider as errors when fitted, this is what happens when you use a large firm who flood the job with labour and are in and out in two or three days, among the tradesmen there are also labours and apprentices who make errors, like a power shower on a combi boiler.

Being fair those faults I found were corrected, but some faults hardly worth calling them back for, like every lock shield valve wide open.

I blamed them for lack of control, however it turned out to be more down to house design and the way the morning sun shines through the bay window. From programmers set to 10 programs instead of 16 to the pushing of thermostats and eTRV's which are completely unsuitable we as electricians tend not to rate plumbers, but to be fair the same can be said about electricians where we miss judge how often a RCD will trip etc.

Be it plumbing or electrics it is done to a price, may be all RCBO or EvoHome is the best option, but both trades try to reduce costs to the consumer and some times we get caught out.

If you had heard the hammering when my parents AGA boiled the water in the side boiler you would have thought the house was going to explode, but all we had to do was run off some water, this was when boilers actually boiled water, today may be called boilers but we would say there is something wrong if they do.

Anyway one assumes the poster has some common sense and has tried closing lock shield valves on each radiator and would have found the obvious, he would have tried lowing the water temperature, so looking at less obvious causes, I nearly stripped down whole boiler before I found how to remove and empty the trap, best of it was it was so easy once one knows how. But I am loathed to point the house holder to stripping down a boiler to find a fault, everyone to their own and I feel better to get some one how knows what they are doing, and of course watch carefully so you can do it next time.

I think what I did was wrong, I stripped down far too much in my quest to find the problem, OK did not touch any gas valve, but did strip down too much, so learning from my own errors I think my comment that they should get a service is correct.

Nearly all modern TRVs are bi-directional, but some of the cheap ones can still cause strange vibrations, hence the suggestion to change for decent quality ones if this is the problem.

It seems with condensate boilers they have traps which over time fill up with rubbish and need cleaning out on a regular basis, so maybe it needs a service where they clean out these traps

what the fook has the condense trap got to do with the problem :confused:

what the fook has the condense trap got to do with the problem :confused:
It would seem if the condensate can't drain due to either blocked trap or frozen pipes it can make a noise before it finally stops boiler from working, with my mothers it is a not what I would call banging, but it can vary boiler to boiler. Fact is it can make a noise and is cheap to correct.

Given the option empty out trap or renew TRV to find out which is causing noise I know which I would do first. However I would bleed every radiator before I looked at fault with boiler, yes a pain where you have to keep topping up the pressure, but gas in the system will cause a lot of noise be that gas air or steam.

You don't have to renew the TRV to find out if its causing a noise, merely adjust it when the noise occurs. If the noise stops / changes. likely to be that TRV, so replace.

It would seem if the condensate can't drain due to either blocked trap or frozen pipes it can make a noise before it finally stops boiler from working, with my mothers it is a not what I would call banging, but it can vary boiler to boiler. Fact is it can make a noise and is cheap to correct.

Given the option empty out trap or renew TRV to find out which is causing noise I know which I would do first. However I would bleed every radiator before I looked at fault with boiler, yes a pain where you have to keep topping up the pressure, but gas in the system will cause a lot of noise be that gas air or steam.

:rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back