noisy cold pipes after fitting pump to hot

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

My hot water tank is one of the type that has a small cold tank on top (the name of the make escapes me). Basically the water pressure from that was awful so i fitted a small water pump to the hot.

Now the Hot water comes out at a decent pressure but when I turn the hot tap off the cold pipes start making a very loud high pitched noise. (I think its when the hot water tank fills again)

I would have said there was air in the system but the only thing that has changed has been the installation of this pump.

Any ideas as to what may be causing it and how I can get it to stop - I'm a failry competent DIY-er

Chris

Sponsored Links
You have a Fortic cylinder. Sounds like it may only be a worn ball valve assy in tank,Easy and cheap DIY.As a matter of interest just make sure that you are now not drawing water from the cylinder faster than the storage can make up,as this could cause an air problem.

Thanks for that, I remember now a plumber telling me that it was a Fortic. Does anyone know where i can find a manual - i can't spot one on google

is there anything else i can try ahead of me swapping out the ball valve? - also i presume its like the type you'll find in a cistern?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back