noisy control valve

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi again,awesome forum this,was wondering anyone got any ideas on my problem.
when I turn of the hot water from the control panel I can hear the control valve closing upstairs,its a loud whirring sorta sound and only lasts until the lever is fully closed.
ive tried wd40 sprayed down between the lever,its a b##tard to get at because its at the back and the person who fitted it has it turned it to the side so it will be hard even to change the motor.
was thinking if I took the cover off complety and spray a lot more wd40 in and around it.
also is it on the way out,and how long will it last.
its a 2 way Honeywell valve.
many thanks.
A.

Sponsored Links
They all make that noise, must say I have never heard anyone complain about it though. It is quite normal to hear it, about a loud as a small clockwork toy like the racing grannies or similar wind up novelties. That is exactly what is happening the cogs in the unit that wound the valve open are racing backwards. Quite reassuring as it means the valve is moving freely :D

cheers footprints,i made a mistake,its the central heating valve,the hot water one makes the noise u describe but the other one is a lot louder and seems to be getting louder and longer over time if that makes sense

It's the old how long is a piece of string answer I'm afraid.

My guess is it is wear on the cogs so getting noiser, as long as it is making a noise it is working :D At some point it will need changing best to bear it in mind to tie in with something like changing or moving a radiator should you need to.
As you say the syncron motor can be changed but I suspect the whole lot is worn, On later valves the head can be changed (certainly can on the three port version) but I think the chances are it will be an old one.

Sponsored Links
cheers again footprints,the whole valve was changed about 2 years ago,i already have a spare motor so will just leave it and see what happens,if it stops working then can change the motor,and if that dosent work then will get my plumber mate in to replace the whole valve.
is there any problems with me taking the cover off and spraying a load of wd40 in and around the valve/motor.

I have used WD40 with the straw on the spindle if it has jambed but always avoid soaking everything in the head.

I know WD40 is often used around electrics on cars but I always worry it might cause a short if not fully dried out before power is restored.

The valve sounds like it is pretty free so I don't see any advantage to putting WD40 on it. Also if any parts have grease on them from the factory WD40 will wash it off and leave the surface dry.

On balance I would not spray it myself.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back