Noisy Floorboards

It’s really difficult to tell but it’s not really a creaking and once I’ve walked on the area it stops doing it.

I had some creaks in another room that I could put my weight on and off and it would do it every time but adding some screws fixed that straight away. This is not like that.

Not being much help am I? :)

Sponsored Links
I was trying to ascertain whether the creak was near/at a wall edge which might indicate that the floor or wall sole plate was nailed, but the the nail only grazed a joist. Another possibility is that.a pipe running beneath the floor is binding against the floor causing creaking.

It can be hard to diagnose these when you are in situ - over the 'net makes it a tad more difficult!

Thank you. Pipes is a possibility, it’s like a ‘clicking into place sound’. I’ve had my central heating decommissioned so the pipes running beneath the floor will be empty.

Sponsored Links
Whereabouts is the noise coming from in the room? I'm trying to figure out if it is the floor or where the walls meet the floor. Is it a creaking or squeaking sound or a cracking?
It’s not a squeaking sound, more of a cracking/creaking and what’s strange to me is it’s at it’s worst the first time I walk in the room that day, then it tends to settle.

What is frustrating is I’ve recently had all new hardwood skirting throughout the entire house which I’m really reluctant to take off, the noise wasn’t noticeable until after the carpet was fitted.

There will be empty water pipes running underneath, we decommissioned our central heating system recently and replaced with Herschel ceiling panels.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back