Laying floorboards on joists

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm going to have to take up my upstairs carpet and chipboard flooring so that I can have recessed spotlights fitted in the downstairs ceilings. I don't like the carpet anyway and the chipboard will probably be badly damanged in the process so I was thinking of junking it and laying plain wooden floorboards over the joists instead (planks nailed in to joists, not tongue and groove). I know this might be noisy to walk on and the look might not be fantastic (but no worse than original floor boards that have been sanded). Are there any other reasons why this might not be a good idea? Is there anything I should make sure to do or not do before, during or after laying the boards? Would I have to leave an expansion gap and if so, how much? Appreciate any advice you can offer.

Sponsored Links
Max99 said:
Are there any other reasons why this might not be a good idea?
No problem there, you will find the carpet shop are selling more wood/laminated flooring than carpet !
Is there anything I should make sure to do or not do before, during or after laying the boards?
Check the joists, wiring & any plumbing are okay and make note of where they are or put a safeplate over the joists to prevent nails going through them.
TLSP1.jpg

Would I have to leave an expansion gap and if so, how much? Appreciate any advice you can offer.
10mm round the edge of the wall should be okay,

Info, Wickes do a nice T&G 22mm Solid Bordeaux Flooring which is a good quality.

Sponsored Links
There is absolutely no advantage to be gained in laying planks instead of floorboards. Indeed they will not only be more expensive but you will in time be left with gaps between the boards through which dust will be come through onto your carpet. The reason why there is a tongue and groove is to prevent this happening.
If you are do not intend to lay a carpet on the boards and are really bothered about the finish ,ask your timber merchant for best quality red t&g

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back