what underlay for real oak flooring?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I'll be making a start on laying a new real oak wooden floor in my upstairs bedroom in a few weeks and was just wondering whether i should be using an underlay (have heard that for real wood you don't necessarily need to lay underlay??). having already removed some of the carpet, i have a floor that is laid on what i think is tongue and groove sheets - possibly chipboard from the looks of it - nailed into the joists.
Thanks
Ben

Sponsored Links
Wonder where you heard that? Perhaps they meant when installing directly onto joists?

Anyway, when you install real wood on any subfloor - using the floating method - you do need underlayment, if only for sound-insulation to prevent the real wood ending up sounding like melamine plastic.

well i thought it was strange but it was through a freind whose friend is a carpenter. the first thing i thought of was sound insualtion but there you go...so the foam underlay is the best for the floating floor? i dont intend to secret nail. is this the same sort of underlay as you can pick up for laminate underlay?

Sponsored Links
thanks - so just so im absolutely clear - use foam underlay that is a minimum of 3mm thick for real wood? what happens if its less than 3mm - juts out of curiosity?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back