Noisy Gas Meter

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Recently our gas meter has been squeaking while the central heating is running. Now our Glow worm Flexicom 18 SX has started coming up with the F1 error message.

My question is are these two linked? I have read somwhere that the F1 message was to do with the gas supply. Is there something in the gas meter which is affecting flow?

Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
They certainly could be linked, contact National Grid and tell them you have a faulty meter 0800 111 999. You might want to check with your supplier first because National Grid will tell you to turn off the gas and wait for their engineer who'll be out within 2 hours

get yourself a gas safe engineer out
the flashing code f1 on the glow-worm means it could be
no gas detection
faulty sensor
get him to check the meter and to check the appliance's gas pressure

Sponsored Links
the f1 could be one of these faults.
ignition fault
no gas / insufficient gas
incorrect gas valve adjustment
electrode lead defect
electronic igniter defective
check air inlet duct
check connections to igniter unit

the f1 could be one of these faults.
ignition fault
no gas / insufficient gas
incorrect gas valve adjustment
electrode lead defect
electronic igniter defective
check air inlet duct
check connections to igniter unit

like you say, no gas/incorrect gas. If the meter is suspect wouldn't it be worth getting it checked out for free first?

Got meter checked out first. Nothing wrong with it.

Got repair man out today. He has said the condensate trap has blocked and split. The boiler started first time while he was here and is still going now. Quoted £195 to repair, but part not available for 3-5 days.

Am I just waiting for the condensate to get to a level then it'll stop again?

did he tell you what blocked it and was the pipe split outside of the house

He said it was just general crud from the heat exchanger and atmosphere.
There is a leak somewhere as the condensate is dripping out from under the boiler, but there is some coming out of the other end of the drain.

Boiler now gone off again. I'm am going to have to look later to see what he is on about. Looks like a cold night ahead, again.

Glow worm Flexicom 18sx.

Approx 16 months.

Thought about service recently before this happened.

Had a look, trap had grit in it. If only the engineer looked a little closer, the leak he had attributed to the condensate trap (which is perfectly ok, no splits), is actually coming from a junction in the piping, which is worrying.

if you 're not gas safe reg'd you 're not meant to be opening the boiler.
since you had a look at the trap.it has a service line the water should not be above that .
you say there is grit in the trap??
it's time you got the boiler serviced as that dirt is coming from the heat exchanger.
the only reason your drain would split is the outside line due to ice or the likes
get yourself a gas safe engineer out to service the boiler and get him to pay close attention to the exhcanger as he will probably have to rinse the trap and the exchanger
if your boiler is under a 2 year warranty glow-worm will probably honor that
but also the excuse may be that you have'nt had your yearly service

Got repair man out today. He has said the condensate trap has blocked and split. The boiler started first time while he was here and is still going now. Quoted £195 to repair, but part not available for 3-5 days.

Is this yet another case where you called an engineer and he diagnosed the fault free and then you are trying to repair it yourself?

Of course its his own fault if he is so stupid and I could say he deserves to get taken advantage of. But then he does not seem so clever with boilers either.

We always charge for diagnosing faults. After that its up to the owner how he wants to get it fixed.

Tony

PS How can the meter be OK when its squeaking?

Is this yet another case where you called an engineer and he diagnosed the fault free and then you are trying to repair it yourself?

Of course its his own fault if he is so stupid and I could say he deserves to get taken advantage of. But then he does not seem so clever with boilers either.

We always charge for diagnosing faults. After that its up to the owner how he wants to get it fixed.

Tony

PS How can the meter be OK when its squeaking?

I don't recollect ever getting a free diagnosis before. I was charged £45 for the call out from the engineer. Apart from checking things like condensate levels I have no intention of repairing anything as gas scares me.
Another more local engineer has been booked for early next week. I will get the boiler serviced at the same time.

The national grid fella said the squeaking was fine and that there was no problem with the gas supply. In my mind the jury is still out on that one.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back