Noisy Gas Meter

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Should a gas meter make a noise whilst gas is flowing through it? I can always tell when my boiler is running as I can hear the meter making a repetitive noise. Not ecessively noisy (wife can't hear it), but it is there. Best way of describing it is like the repetitive noise of a train running over tracks.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
1: the is handle next to meter turn it so handle is at 90degree`s with pipe

2: open all window`s

3: ring 0800111999 and tell them you got problem with meter it won`t cost you anything and meter is their property

Dont do anything of the kind.
A noisy gas meter is just wear on the mechanism within it and is of no danger whatsoever also when noisy they allow a very little amount more gas through than they register so its faulty in your favour

Sponsored Links

3: ring 0800111999 and tell them you got problem with meter it won`t cost you anything and meter is their property

A tad extreme advice there mate :rolleyes:

Have changed quite a few noisy meters over the last few yrs & namsags correct, just phone your supplier & request a new meter...sometimes its not the meter at all but could be the regulator or water pipes that sit close to meter.

A tad extreme advice there mate :rolleyes:

Have changed quite a few noisy meters over the last few yrs & namsags correct, just phone your supplier & request a new meter...sometimes its not the meter at all but could be the regulator or water pipes that sit close to meter.
The water pipes will be the ones that are straight, true and fixed . The gas ones will be a lash up and a stainless steel cobra tied in knots :LOL: :LOL:

Jesus, a tat dramatic saying ring the emergency number!!!
It's normal, a constant slight 'hiss' type noise is just the gas flowing, a slight pulsing or clunking is just the bellows and armature moving inside the meter. If it gets too noticeable just ring your supplier and tell them to arrange an exchange. Not dangerous in the slightest.
Just one of them things with age in a diaphragm meter.

yep well i come accross some very dodgy secondry mtr`s recently making strang noise found that they where leaking
some where about 16mb presure over two minutes bypassed them and it was tight so better safe than sorry
and besides what`s the point paying some one to come out and check it

I recall one a few years ago where a noisy meter was recording at around 50% gas flow when boiler was running a maximum. I called Transco and they had called around within a short while to replace it.

When was the last time you had the old boiler serviced (not the missus lol). The engineer should do tests to confirm there is no problems. If the noise is an issue then ask him to call Transco on your behalf.

yep well i come accross some very dodgy secondry mtr`s recently making strang noise found that they where leaking
some where about 16mb presure over two minutes bypassed them and it was tight so better safe than sorry
and besides what`s the point paying some one to come out and check it

If it went down to 16mb after raising it to 20mb over the 2 mins (+1min temp stabl) and there was no smell of gas on the exist system then that is a pass........what do you mean you bypassed them?

You wouldnt have to pay for anything,if there is a smell of gas you call the freephone National Help line for an engineer to come out and make safe & if you think the meter is noisy you phone the supplier & they will book you in for a replacement

no it`s secondary meter it`s the landlord responsibility and it whent down 16 mb to 4mb sorry not being clear

In 10years working for transco I never once heard of a noisy meter leaking.
Not even rotary or turbine meters. Purely coincidence more likely.
Then again I rarely worked in peoples houses only upstream MP and above.
I've seen meters squeeling, and still accurate (was sent to ofgem for testing)

p.s. It's not always 4mb permissible loss over the 2mins ;) sometimes more, sometimes less. With no SOG obviously

At primary or secondary just out of curiosity? Landlord 2ndary meters are a disgrace, not covered under the gas act and they can charge whatever they like, meters are usually eBay specials.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back