noisy Glowworm 30hxi

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
this fault only started about 3 mths ago, and the boiler is just out of its 2 yr warrenty.I've had new gaskets/fan fitted and after having the heat exchanger flushed through of crud a 'Magnaclean' was fitted just before the boiler to catch any manetic particles before they enter the boiler and its still noisy (sounds like a vibrating panel noise)
The heating works fine but when the boiler gets to around 60 deg thats when this noise starts --- comments please!!!

Sponsored Links
Sounds as though the HE is still full of crud that is not magnetic.

Reverve flush HE on its own then add X200.

thanks for your reply guys,it has x100 inhibitor in it,having been flushed with x300 before boiler was fitted and has run perfectly for 2yrs before this noise, but i take your point about reverse flushing-- cheers

Sponsored Links
We are guessing that its the heat exchanger kettling but it could be other less drastic causes.

However, from what you have told us has been done to it there is a strong possibility that its a dirt problem.

Setting the boiler power to match the property will help. If it was not properly set when it was installed then that may be the basis of the problem.

Its a very powerful boiler. Do you live in a six+ bedroom house with solid walls and little loft insulation with gas bills over £2400pa?

If not then I would expect the boiler is seriously over sized!

Tony

thanks for your reply guys,it has x100 inhibitor in it,having been flushed with x300 before boiler was fitted and has run perfectly for 2yrs before this noise, but i take your point about reverse flushing-- cheers

You have not told us if this was a new boiler on an existing system or a completely new install.

If the former then you used the wrong chemical, it should have been X800, or at least X400.

Isolate the boiler from the system and connect a small rubber tube to the drain off point on the return isolator. Pressurise the boiler to max, open the drain off and let the water back flush through. You can heat the water as well to help. Keep repeating this for as long as necessary, turningthe hot tap on every now and again to let the flushing go through the plate HE.

It may also be worthwhile to remove the plate HE for cleaning on its oen as well, as this can act as a trap for any debris.

This is a very common problem on Glow Worm and Vaillant HE's, especially where the old boiler was a BBU.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back