Noisy Heating SYstem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Over the last couple of weeks I have had to bleed one of our radiators every couple of days. When I have done this, our heating system is quiet for a while then there are noises from our loft which sound like alot of water running every time the boiler switches on. We have had a problem with the ballcock in the smaller tank in the loft sticking and causing water to come through the overflow pipe, so we removed some of the water - could this be the cause of the problem?

Thanks for your help...

Sponsored Links
The ballcock could have something to do with it. In any case as it has been a problem, change it as they are only a few pounds, and it will rule this out of the list of possible causes. It may be something else, but first things first.

Thanks, we have already replaced the ballcock, and the water noises are still happening, what I meant was whether the smaller tank had less water in now, could this be the cause?

Sponsored Links
When the system is cold, there should be about 3 inches between the water level in the tank and the overflow pipe.

Get someone to look in the tank, while someone else starts the boiler and see if water comes out of the vent pipe.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back