Noisy neighbour water pipes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Oracles

After some 16yrs or so, i have a new neighbour, the previous owner staying about 2 months in the whole of that time, upto 5yrs between stays. She was in her mid 80’s.

Since new neighbour appeared, it has become apparent how loud their water pipe or pipes are when a tap is open.

The noise is louder than my own pipes and it very disturbing. On Friday night i was looking for leaks thinking I had a problem.

I have planned to sound proof the downstairs walls as part of my renovation work anyway but that was to be next year but may need to review that if the new owners move in proper.

Is there anything that I could guide the neighbour to investigate their side or any known reasons for this type of noise? The noise is the sort of noise i may hear if i half turn a kitchen tap on or the washing machine makes when filling up, the movement of water.

thank you

Natalie

Sponsored Links
Is it a loud hissing noise, not a banging/knocking?

If it's loud hissing then it's either a dodgy valve or the water pressure/velocity is too high for the pipe its travelling in that just happens to be in your party wall.

Sponsored Links
16 years having no neighbour in a house with a party wall that would normally be occupied!
I think there'll be a few things that will upset your special privileges.
I'd take it very slow and make friends before anything else.

Are you on a shared supply do you know?

I dont believe so. The noise is nearer the rear of the property, my water enters the property at the front on the opposite side. My water meter was in the street but then moved into my house.

s it a loud hissing noise, not a banging/knocking

Yes, its a continuous hissing type noise that seems to slow to a fizz immediately prior to it going silent (tap probably turned off)

I think there'll be a few things that will upset your special privileges.
I'd take it very slow and make friends before anything else.

Well observed! Yes i have been spoilt and was miserable about this last weekend but starting to feel a little bit optimistic.

New Neighbour returns this weekend to drop more things off so im thinking on sensitive ways to mention this (she may hear me too).

We have messaged each other so, im working on the good stuff too!

Will look thank you.

What is a water hammer arrestor

Arent they only for when pipes bang?

Thank you troopers

Ho hum... Removed.
Thought it was fairly funny myself.
"You only have 1 life... Live it!"
(as long as there's someone to moderate it)

Invite them in to have a listen and help them to track it down.

Hi

Yes, this is the plan but i wanted to know if there were any common faults i could suggest to her.

I will ask her If the mains water valve is fully open as this what someone suggested.

I have wondered how the pipes are mounted on the wall, they may be old style fittings that vibrate right through the bricks and may simply be helped by rawl plugs to dampen vibration.

Will be seeing her tomorrow.

Ta

Yes, its a continuous hissing type noise that seems to slow to a fizz immediately prior to it going silent (tap probably turned off)

That sounds like an upstairs toilet fill valve running at full pelt that then slowly closes. A new fill valve with a flow restrictor will probably sort it

@HERTS P&D has probably called it.

That sounds like an upstairs toilet fill valve running at full pelt that then slowly closes. A new fill valve with a flow restrictor will probably sort it

@HERTS P&D has probably called it.

Thanks both, perhaps it is as simple as that.

I imagined that when i am upstairs that it was her in the shower, when i was downstairs it seemed to mirror perhaps a washing machine cycle with frequent filling periods.

I’ll have to raise this with her and we can work on identifying if its all taps or a single point.

Thanks all

My own house was as noisy as hell when we first moved in with hissing and water hammer almost every time a tap was used. A pressure reducing valve just after the stop cock made a huge improvement.

Thank you, another great idea.

Hadn’t considered how it may sound her side

Just wait until they start talking, watching TV etc. It'll be a living nightmare..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back