Noisy Neighbours 2 - DOWNSTAIRS!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ive also got some problems with noisy neighbours but they are DOWNSTAIRS!!

We live on the 1st floor and our neighbours on the ground floor have 2 kids that run around and scream early in the mornings at weekends. The banging noise from running around is driving us insane, as it feels like they are outside our room.

I have been down before (several times) but they dont speak english and dont seem to get the fact if you shut up we will shut up. Also they are young kids so probably wont stop anyway.

Im pretty certain they have very thin carpet straight on top of wood floors, hence the noise.

I know some work on their flat would prob stop the noise, would they need to fill the cavity between the joist? or get new carpet with underlay? or both? What would be most cost effective?

If they do not agree to do any of this, is there anything i can do to stop this type of noise? Can i fill the cavity in between the joists under my floor? would this help

Any help would be great.

Sponsored Links
Buy them, and yourself, thick carpet with underlay.

You can get soundproofing material to put under your floor between the joists but it will mean taking your floor up.

As the noise is rising up from downstairs I expect it is mostly airbourne not impact (unless they are banging their ceiling :LOL: ) which is easier to deal with.

Look for any gaps that sound can come through, e.g. round pipes or the stairs.

fit laminate flooring throughout your house and wear high heels shoes

they'll soon get the message :evil:

or like JonD says get soundproofing material between your floor joists

good luck

Webbie :confused:

unless you isolate your floor from your joists then packing between the joists will have little effect as the sound will still travel through the structure.

There are two ways of deadening sound - through a large mass or through isolation. A large mass is not possible so you need to isolate. You could rip up your floors and place some deadening material between teh boards and the joists, but probably your best bet is to buy carpets with underlay designed to cut out sound. This will be the best method in terms of sound reduction per £ spent

Sponsored Links
You can buy loose rockwool which can be blown between the joists and you will probably get away with taking only up 1 floorboard in each room.
From what I remember the sound proofing qualities of this material are pretty high .
There is an added bonus in that you will improve the thermal insulation of the floor greatly.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back