Noisy neighbours

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a ground floor flat in a victorian terrace, the house directly next door is rented and all noise from their kitchen and sitting/living room travels through the adjoining wall, we can hear the neighbours talk/play music etc...

I am planning on renovating soon, i.e. moving the kitchen to back of the property, new bathroom etc.. whilst I have the opportunity I would like to insulate the adjoining wall with acoustic material.

Is this best approach, I guess I would lose some space on my side of the property, any particular recommended material ?

Sponsored Links
100mm timber or metal stud wall. Leave a 20mm gap between the new studwork and the existing wall - i.e. not touching. Fill the new wall with dense mineral wool - that's dense acoustic wool, not the ordinary loft insulation stuff. Fix resilient channels to your new stud wall at 400 centres and then finish with 2 layers of 15mm bdcheck board with staggered joints. I would also seal the edges with acoustic mastic sealant.

This is the standard spec for upgrading existing walls in conversions. Add it up and you lose about 150mm of space. You could use 75mm stud but the overall effectiveness will be slightly less. (though still pretty good)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back