Noisy New Boiler

If you don't think the system has been properly flushed make sure you tell the warmfront inspector when he does the inspection. He can take a sample of water and check it. If it hasn't been flushed the installer will get a remedial to come back and complete the job properly.

I'll do this, thank you.

Sponsored Links
if half of what i have heard about the warmfront scheme, you have indeed a lemon for a boiler and installed to the poorest of standards as well.
however, installations will have to be done to spec and if you nag long enough, it should eventually be semi-working.
don't bother calling them too much, do everything in writing and send it registered.
it may seem over the top, but ideal is a really poor make and you may have a new one, but it will be no good to you if you start having large repair bills 2 weeks after the warrantee runs out.
if you have a long paper trail to document future claims, you will stand a much better chance.

just contact warmer heating,ask them why the engineer's didn't powerflush the system

Flushed or not, you will need a new HE in about 3-4 years time due to it leaking :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Another thing with these warm front installations, if all you have had is a boiler swap and they have installed onto origonal radiators the installers will only warrenty their work for up to 30 days. You will still get the 2 years cover but there may be a bit of messing about getting it sorted if it is an installation fault as opposed to a boiler fault.

Well an engineer just came round. It made the noise for him. He dug out a bit of the wall where the vent was put through, then took the boiler apart, and eventually decided that there is a seal either missing or broken, he's not sure which. So "for safety reasons" he's switched it all off and gone away to order a part. This he tells me after he's put all his kit away in the van and is going out the door.. :rolleyes:

So, no heating or hot water... it snowed here yesterday..

His office just rang as I was typing that.. They can't get this part until Friday, can they come back Monday? Erm. "No." Told them to try a bit harder at getting the part.. She's calling me back.

Does the Sale Of Goods Act cover heating installation? I feel like rejecting this one already..

Edit: to answer my own question: Yes it does.

Yet again you probably fall into the trap of not being the customer!

You will have realised that Warmfront installers are not very good. You could not choose them ( nor would anyone in their right mind! ).

Whilst you can complain, because its grant funded, you have little hope of anything apart from an apology.

If it were a fault with the boiler then the manufacturer would be fixing it. Its difficult to imagine exactly which seal is missing or damaged unless its the flue to boiler seal at the top.

Tony

it's probably the black seal on top of the turret,i'll tell ya what give us your address an i'll try and sort it for free,post it on my message's

Well my wife, who is a little more, ahem, forceful, than me, took their call back... Promised to report them to everyone from warm front to our MP if they didn't either find a part or simply replace the whole thing. The net result was an engineer back on the doorstep by 2pm with the part taken out of a boiler they had in stock...! The seal was fitted, and noise has gone..

Whilst the immediate problem that gave rise to my original post is sorted, we've obviously got issues with how this was handled, especially their admittance (over the phone but recorded) that they left us with a system running that they considered dangerous. I'm still also going to chase up if a flush was needed and the issue over the chemicals.

Thanks to everyone for their input on this and especially to idealnumber1 for the offer to come sort it.

though the (power)flush was probably needed, there is no legal obligation to do it.
all you are required to do is fill up, run the boiler and drain.

though the (power)flush was probably needed, there is no legal obligation to do it.

Well its quite true that there is no law which says you have to power flush a system!

However, the service they provide still has to be of good workmanship and that may require proper cleaning of the system. It all depends on how dirty the existing system is.

However, as you are not paying for the system yourself, I think that may lessen your chance of taking any very effective action. Perhaps Hailsham might comment as he is often better at legal advice than plumbing.

You could make a complaint to CORGI that they fitted the boiler without the flue seal which was probably classed as At Risk.

If it helps you, I saw a boiler fitted "on the side" by a Warmfront installer without a flue seal. He also wrote out a gas Safety certificate using his employer's CORGI number even though he was not entitled to do that.

Its very frustrating when I see this kind of thing several times a week. But the homeowners know they have got a cheap illegal deal and will not report the illegal workers. Because I am not party to the Contract I am unable to report them!

Tony

it is indeed very poor quality work; my remark was purely meant with respect to the chance of success of taking this up from a legal point of view

all you are required to do is fill up, run the boiler and drain.

Under the warmfront scheme a powerflush is required with most boiler swaps. The installer has probably charged for it so it should be done.

many installers charge for power flushing but dont do it!

Since there seems to be no significant quality assessment by Warmfront then the workers can leave out the power flush and sell the chemicals to their friends.

One of my ex-trainees got himself a nice new signwritten van. In Willesden he was flashed down by a XXXXXXX XXX van whose driver wanted to sell him boiler spares at a knockdown cash price.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back