Noisy Oil Boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi chaps.
I am an experinced gas boiler engnieer with limited oil boiler experience.

My partner has a oil boiler fitted and it's a little noisy in use, it makes a high which whining noise in operation,.

The noise is definitley not coming from the circulation pump so I suspect it's either motor bearings or pump bearings.

It's an old Trianco Eurostar boiler with a Danfoss BFP 11 pump.

Is it possible to replace the bearings or does in need a new pump or motor?

Many thanks!

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
If motor bearings have gone (nearly always pump side) they can be changed just a strip down job.
We now just replace motors to save customer come backs.
If it needs a new pump If you haven't already got a oil pressure gauge get one to set pump pressure.
Then analyse flue gas to fine tune.
You have checked fan is not catching somewhere?

I have to admit I haven’t really checked anything yet, it’s a strange noise, it whines but the sound undulates regularly so it gets whiter and louder once every couple of seconds.

I’m going to service it this weekend, I do have an oil pressure gauge and a manual which specifies the correct oil pressure and I think my FGA is suitable for oil although I’ve never used it with oil before.

Thanks for the help!!

Sponsored Links
.......And check for visual smoke before putting the probe in.
Any idea which make and model of burner is fitted. With that pump, my guess would be a Sterling, which has rubber drive dog between motor and pump. The nylon drive dogs wear on that burner and cause noises like you describe.

.......And check for visual smoke before putting the probe in.
Any idea which make and model of burner is fitted. With that pump, my guess would be a Sterling, which has rubber drive dog between motor and pump. The nylon drive dogs wear on that burner and cause noises like you describe.
Thanks for the advice regarding the smoke!

I’m not sure what make and model the burner is but it’s a Danfoss BFP 11 pump.

I won’t be there until tomorrow night but I will see if I can get any more information.

Thanks again

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back