Noisy radiators (after plumbing work)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone, hope you can help.

I recently moved, the boiler and the central heating pump at the new house made some truly terrifying noised for about 30 minutes when it first started (water was also coming out of the expansion pipe into the small tank in the loft). A few weeks later the central heating pump stopped working all together and I called in a plumber.

He said that the system was sludged up. So he replaced the pump and rinsed the system.

At last, no more rude awakenings at 6am!

But, after 2 or 3 weeks the radiator closest to the boiler started making loud gurgling noises and now sounds more like a tricking waterfall. The radiator directly above it has started sounding like a water feature too...

So, I tried to bleed them to no avail. Air came out for a few seconds and then water started spluttering out. Should I keep bleeding through the spluttering or is that enough?

I have read mention of needing to rinse again after the cleaning agent has been in for a couple of weeks - could that be it?

Thanks
Katie
:-*

Sponsored Links
..........I tried to bleed them to no avail. Air came out for a few seconds.......

So it was beneficial to bleed them.

But, after 2 or 3 weeks the radiator closest to the boiler started making loud gurgling noises........

Air (or something) has got in, and indicates a further problem exists. It MAY be the pump is on the return side of the boiler (pumping into the tank), or corrosion is making gases in the system (gurgling noises), or it MAY be the feed pipe from the tank is partially blocked. This can be cured by replacing a section of pipe.

Hi

Air comes out out only for a second or two and then water starts to splutter out. However, the waterfall noise continues.

it looks like there is a little air coming out with the water, should I try to bleed it for longer?

thanks
Katie

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back