Noisy Radiators

So update. I've just changed the TRV's on the two radiators that are noisiest, also the ones which when fully off the noise stops. Noise seems a tiny amount quieter but not enough to be the root cause of the issue. The leaked water was pretty grotty but managed to do it without too much collateral damage. I've got two more valves, but given the noise stops when the two i've swapped are closed i reckon i'll take those back and save a few quid.

Sponsored Links
try turning the lockshields on the noisy rads right down then open 1/4 turn does it make any difference ?

Pic of the TRV head/sensor or of the valve pin?

Worth noting noise persists regardless of the presence of the head.

is as best as I can get to illustrating the noise, seems fairly quiet in the video I can assure you in real life it's not!. Still lingers slightly even with the valve fully closed but if I fully close the other radiator it is silent.

you have very fast flow rate which then, as it drops and rises back again (which pumps are designed to do) creates the vibration and knocking (think of hammering)
You might want to keep the high flow rates so then you need to make sure the pipes are clipped so as not to vibrate.
I'm also going for trapped air in the system which exacerbates the vibrations as the high flow competes to compress and bypass the air

Sponsored Links
try turning the lockshields on the noisy rads right down then open 1/4 turn does it make any difference ?
It didn't previously, I've not tried since changing the TRV's.

you have very fast flow rate which then, as it drops and rises back again (which pumps are designed to do) creates the vibration and knocking (think of hammering)
You might want to keep the high flow rates so then you need to make sure the pipes are clipped so as not to vibrate.
I'm also going for trapped air in the system which exacerbates the vibrations as the high flow competes to compress and bypass the air

I suspect a lot of the pipes in the upstairs aren't clipped, can hear them knocking/expanding. I find it a bit odd though that all noise stops if the valves on these two rads are closed. I'm hoping that I can get the plumbers back in for a second opinion now we've ruled out the TRV's. To be honest, I don't have an issue ripping up the floors to get it sorted, it's just that annoying.. (Plus we ideally want carpet in the two bedrooms anyway so It's a good excuse!)

Can confirm, no change by turning lockshields down (apart from the point at which they are clearly fully closed).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back