Noisy Shower

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My daughter moved into an ex-MOD house and the water supply is still provide from the MOD site across the road, not very high pressure. The shower is a Bristar pumped model and a few seconds after switching on it becomes very noisy, the pump motor seems to labour getting enough water through. Is this problem likely to be caused by the low mains pressure or is the height of the main water tank in the loft being fairly low likely to be the problem. would mounting tank higher be a likely solution.
The shower doesn't appear to have a model number.

Sponsored Links
Hi Terry, what I didn't say before, daughter got a new shower fitted but with the same model because of the expense of making necessary alterations to the shower cubicle. the new shower is just as noisy, which is why I suspected water pressure.

Tell us the exact model of shower. What supplies the hot and cold water to it ?

Sponsored Links
the shower apparently has no model identification on the case, I would need to visit to take the cover off.
Hot water is supplied from a standard boiler to a hot water tank on the first floor of the house, cold reservoir tank is in the loft immediately above the cupboard holding the hot water tank. The reservoir tank in the loft is not very high above the floor of the loft. (I have lifted the cold water tanks by at least 1metre in two of the houses I owned to increase water pressure before pumped showers were available).

You said daughter had a new shower fitted...but you don't know what it is ??
Show us a picture of it.
What floor is the shower on ,same as the hot water cylinder ?
Is cold fed from loft tank or mains ?

Hello Terry, the new shower is another Bristar, same model, and yes it is on the same floor as the hot water cylinder and the cold side is fed from the loft tank. Should the shower pump be able to cope with this arrangement.

Hello Terry, the new shower is another Bristar, same model, and yes it is on the same floor as the hot water cylinder and the cold side is fed from the loft tank. Should the shower pump be able to cope with this arrangement.
Yes ,standard set up for a power shower ( if indeed that's what you have )

Yes Terry I guess it is a power shower, Bristan by the way not Bristar. Don't know how old the original shower was but the new one is about nine months old both apparently making the same noise so not a problem with the shower itself. I can only assume there is an obstruction in the pipework somewhere.

Thanks for your correction Dilalio

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back