Electric shower with low mains pressure - advice please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello folks,

I plan to replace my mains-fed electric shower. The water pressure in the area has been measured recently and is low, barely 1 bar.

Can anyone recommend an electric shower with a decent chance of working with a low pressure mains supply? Lots of people recommend Mira showers, so I was looking at the Mira Sport 9kW, which from their blurb requires a minimum 0.7 bar inlet pressure. There's a 5m run of 6mm cable (under floorboards and through hollow partition wall) to the existing 8kW shower, so hopefully it will cope with a 9kW shower.

Another option might be a shower with a built-in pump (eg. the Triton T80si 8.5kW pumped version). However this would need connecting to the mains cold water tank, and the property freeholder wasn't very co-operative when I suggested this (I own a top-floor leasehold flat, one of seven in a converted Victorian house). I've also heard that this type of shower can be noisy and give fairly poor performance. Any opinions on these pumped showers?

I was advised that the best solution would be a proper pumped system with thermostatic shower. However this would be very expensive and there could be issues with the freeholder (he can be really awkward!), eg. depending on position, the pump could be noisy for his tenants, and/or the pump's power supply might have to be from a source outside my flat's circuit.

Basically I'm after a shower that works (most of the time) - and I don't need a really hot shower or strong spray. There would normally be no other draws on the flat's water supply at the same time as the shower.

Any advice would be gratefully received - thanks in advance. :)

Sponsored Links
An accumulator might do the trick. It would pressurise to full mains pressure (eg at night). Electric showers only supply about 4 litres/minute, so a 50 litrre acc would probably do. No noise, no pump.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back