Noisy toilet

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
Please can you help with this problem. We have a loo upstairs and downstairs. Recently when we flush the toilet upstairs it makes a sound in the pipes like rather loud french horn. On the first flush it will make the noise but then if you flush very soon after the noise doesn't happen. Also if you run the bathroom taps the noise doesn't happen. I think it started after my husband replaced the toilet flush system in the toilet downstairs but this could be coincidence I guess. The toilet downstairs has a modern all in one flush system thingy whereas the toilet upstairs has a normal flush with the ball thingy. Sorry don't know names for these 2 systems. I thought it might be air in the pipes so we turned off the cold water under the kitchen sink and ran all the taps in the house for 5 miutes or so. At first we thought it had worked but then the noise came back. Please can you help/advise us what it might be and what we can do? Many, many thanks, Heather.

Sponsored Links
Likely to be 'water hammer'. The washer in one of the valves is vibrating like the reed in an instrument. Could be either the stopvalve under the sink or the ballvalve in upstairs loo. Try turning stopvalve under sink off slightly, to reduce the pressure. If this doesnt work you will need to replace whichever valve is making the noise I think.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back