Noisy unvented hot water cylinder

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I’ve recently had my external expansion vessel changed on my Telford Tempest stainless unvented cylinder as water was leaking out the PRV which showed up to be a split diaphragm on the old vessel.

Now, the new vessel appears to be doing its job (no water leaking out the PRV anymore) but I am now faced with a new problem. When drawing hot water (usually for the first time after it has been heated) there is an almighty rumble/grown that doesn’t sound too dissimilar to a tuba/fog horn! It only lasts about 10-15 seconds but as I live in a block of flats, I’d imagine it wakes/disturbs most of my neighbours as it’s pretty darn loud (and scared the poop out of me when it first did it!)

Would anyone have any idea what could potentially be causing this? It must be linked to the new vessel being fitted but it was a like for like swap..

To give you some idea of what it’s doing, I’ve posted up a video on youtube which you can find here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xiRZnUuNmJQ

Cheers,
Ben

Sponsored Links
Water hammer in the inlet valve, try opening it or closing it a bit more.
Its just the valve seat bouncing with the water coming through as it shuts down.

Most likely the pre-charge in the new expansion vessel.

Check with the manufacturer.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back