Noisy water pipes after shower

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Many similar threads, but nothing quite the same!

After having a shower (not pumped or power shower, just straight from hot water tank, gravity fed from tank in loft) the pipes make a low pitched whine, on and off for a few seconds at a time, getting louder and longer. This happens until I either flush the loo or turn a cold tap on full and off again quickly.

Is this a problem with my feed to the header tank? Or could it be caused by air in my hot water system somewhere.

Please don't ask me too many technical questions...I'm no plumber!! :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
I would suspect the float valve in the feed tank is just a bit noisy but I would also expect it to do the same if you draw off enough water on the Wash Basin Hot Tap (It probably won't happen running the basin tap for a quick hand wash)

If that is what it is and it bothers you, you could try
http://www.screwfix.com/p/pegler-prestex-float-valve-part-2/27627
Make sure you get the pegler-prestex one as they have a good reputation for being quiet.

+1 for float valve.

Isolate mains feed to float valve and run shower. There maybe an isolation valve on pipe to f/v, or you may need to turn off main stop tap.

If the noise has gone, change the f/v.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back