Non-Barrier Pipe, New boiler, Stainless or Cast Aluminum Hex

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Having a new boiler fitted to replace my old cast iron Ideal, I have non-barrier plastic Hep so am expecting to have system corrosion caused by the oxygen infusion. To minimize problems with the boiler should I go for a boiler with a stainless steel or cast aluminum heat exchanger?

Looking at Vaillant ecotec plus 415 / Wocester Greenstar 12RI

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Get the non-barrier replaced, preferably with copper, or it will screw your system and any boiler.

It is more effective to find a good installer and let him advice you on the project, than trying to learn all the facts in order to tell the installer how to do his job.

Sponsored Links
The stainless steel boilers are more expensive to make.

The ali ones are cheaper and so usually sold a bit cheaper.

The main problem with oxygen in your system will be rusting of the steel rads.

The best advice is to replace the pipework!

There seems to be little experience of non barrier pipe problems and its probably very variable with differing levels of inhibitor addition.

Suffice to say there are a few non barrier pipe installations and they are working. However, they are not recommended.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back