Non built-in built-in appliance

• Thread starter Captain Nemesis
  • Start date
C

Captain Nemesis

Can a built-in DW be used not built-in, i.e. just sitting in a gap between 2 cabinets where a free-standing one would go?

Sponsored Links
Would have thought so, but door alignment may be a bit tricky.

I had a built-in fridge just loose, but didn’t bother with the door until I had moved it an fitted it properly.

Im in the position of having a free-standing DW on the blink but reluctant to replace it with another free-standing one as Ill want a built-in one next year in the new kitchen (assuming I can find a builder).

Theres a 15mm gap each side of the current one (and could be made wider) and 35mm between the top and the worktop, so I wouldnt expect tricky alignment problems?

I fitted a built-in washer recently, from memory the space either side is a lot smaller than 15mm, more like 5mm at best.

If you can move one unit along to make the gap correct when you fit your built-in one you’ll be ok. You need to make sure you can fit a standard door to the front of the appliance, this will determine the gap you leave.

Space at the top under the worktop not an issue, as in the case of my washer, there is about 40mm gap.

Hope this makes sense.

Sponsored Links
Is there a reason why I cant have a gap at the sides? Not bothered about appearance.

Yes, but its a short (-ish, gods be willing) expediency. And its "gappy" now.

1) Not convinced that shelling out to have the current DW fixed is sensible.

2) Definitely not convinced that buying a new freestanding one now and then a new integrated one in 6-9 months is sensible.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back