Non-combustible cutouts??

I, of course, don't know.
I think that you are a member of a very large club!
Perhaps they have not encountered cut-out fires (to little room and oxygen?) so they did not bother.
Perhaps they suggested it to the regulation body but they said "Oh we'll just go with metal ones".
Perhaps they are in a fierce battle with the DNOs who flatly refuse to have metal cut-outs.
Yep, perhaps one or more of those (and there are probably many other possibilities, too).

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Perhaps a little tongue-in-cheek, but in the interests of consistency ...

... given that they carry an installation's entire current load, usually contain the highest-rated OPD within the premises and (presumably) contain screwed terminals, I wonder if cutouts within domestic premises should qualify as being within the spirit of "consumer units and similar switchgear assemblies" and, if so, whether the LFB (and/or other fire brigades) should be pressing for appropriate regulations to be revised such that DNOs would be required to replace their plastic cutouts with the sort of 'non-combustible' ones which they have been trying to get rid of for decades?

Kind Regards, John

But as regulations are not retrospective, they could not be required to replace them, only required not to use them on new installations.

But as regulations are not retrospective, they could not be required to replace them, only required not to use them on new installations.
Given the context, I would imagine that virtually everyone other than you understood that that was what I meant - i.e. exactly the same as with CUs.

Having said that, whilst regulations in BS7671 are, as a generalisation, not retrospective, I haven't a clue as to whether or not the regulations and legislation applicable the work of DNOs could impose requirements on them retrospectively - do you?

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back