Non Equidistant Mitre on an Architrave

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Due to a door archtrave running really close to the coving above it, I have to do something odd with the architrave top span. I am toying with cutting it much narrower (20mm) than the uprights (which are about 95mm). My head is telling me to just to a mitre joint to suit this disparity (though the top span will be like a javelin). Is this appropriate or should I consider a different way of joining them?

Ta muchly

Steve

Sponsored Links
Firstly, if you install architraves without having a mitre joint at the corners it just looks odd (not to mention amateurish). It is quite normal to deal with situations such as yours by ripping down sections of architrave to fit the available space

Last edited by a moderator:
i may off course be misunderstanding your problem if so lease forgive (y)
are these matched to others in the room ?? as you can get 3" architraves that come out as 69ish mm

Sponsored Links
Ive not described it very well so... ELEC_recover_recover-Model_001.png I either need to fit my arctrave whole (full 70mm width) and notch out the coving (which I think will look awful) or, as I am intending, 'rip' the architrave top section (if I am picking up JobAndKnock's terminology accurately) such that it is narrower. If I do this then what would be considered a proper join?

has to be 45 degrees as the shapes on the architrave will line up the other way you wont find a saw that will go that shallow and the shapes wont line up

As BA says, you cannot alter the angle from 45°. The way to fit this is to mark the reveals around the edges of the casing with a combi square (normally a 9.5mm set-back) taking care to mark the corners especially. Next measure up from the marks on the head to the cornice (at both ends) to obtain the required width of architrave. Rip down the archi header to width and cut the mitres at each end, setting the factory edge of the archi against the fence of the saw for sawing. Fix the archi head in position (the insides should line up with the reveal corner marks).

The legs will be slightly more tricky as you need to cut them oversize to start with. Cut the mitres first, then measure the distance from the bottom corner of the architrave to the floor and cut the appropriate archi leg to length measuring from the mitre short point to the bottom. Finally measure from the top of the architrave header to the floor and trim the TOP of the mitred architrave leg square on the chop saw (you end up with the mitred leg having a mitre with a short flat to the outer edge by doing this). This exercise needs to be repeated for the other leg as right and left legs may well be different lengths, especially in older buildings. It may well be necessary to do final fine adjustment with a block plane or a sanding board to get a perfect joint

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back