Trimming architrave that meets in room corner cut strip

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Can somebody please give me some advice.

I have 2 doors that require architrave - the architrave is 44mm chamfered (to match existsing woodwork). The doors meet in the corner of a room (indicated by the red line) door no.1 (left in picture) has a distance of ~30mm to the corner and door no.2 (right in picture) has a distance of ~20mm to the corner.

Therefore i need to cut two long lenths of architrave down by 14mm and 24mm effectively narrowing the wood and neatly join these in the room corner.

How would i go about making the cuts ????

Is it best to just but the two architraves togethor or do i need to cut a 45 mitre slope along the leading edges.

I only own a B&D workbench so am at a loss as to how i can accurately cut such a thin strip? - would a wood yard trim this for me? I have asked at my local B&Q and there cutting machine requires a minimum of 8inches width.

What tools / techniques can i use/employ to cut such a long fiddly strip - i was "guessing" maybe a jigsaw with the blade at 45degrees may work but i can only imagine how inaccurate that would be ..arghhhh

Thanks in advance for any advice

Ps. I am using MDF - so will there be any issues using wood filler should i make a mess of the cutting.

Sponsored Links
I would butt them together, you generally don't mitre internal corners as they always pull apart, are mostly never true 90 degrees and just too damn fiddly, do your corner mitres first though then trim the width down and after you can if you so wish just run a small bead of decorators caulk down the corner and finger it in to get a nice jointless joint ;)

hi thanks for the reply/advice

Any ideas how i actually make the long cut? Dont know what tool would be best to use as its so narrow as is and i cannot see how i will be able to hold it steady

Personally, I'd just run a bit of quadrant up the corner and scribe the architrave across the top of the frame to it. With the distances you have mentioned from the door frames into the corner, it's hardly worth messing about with bits of architrave. ;) ;)

Sponsored Links
or just resort to the good old fashioned hand saw then run a block plane down it

cut the arcs to the widest width[5mm set back and 23mm cut 2mm gap
get some quad or moulding to give you a 5mm setbackand reach the arc you have just fitted
eddit as you arcs will be around 15mm just leave the 20mm side as it will only be showing 5mm anyway

big all - I know your trying to help so please dont be offended by this; but I cannot get to grips with what your trying to tell me.

What would the 2mm gap be for?

Do you mean .. cut the wood roughly to fit in the corner and then hide the crap join with beading - like this ....

sorry the 2mm gap was because the other arcatrave would cover but it wont be there :LOL:
you need to scribe to the wall then as the arcatrave will be around 15mm thick it wont leave any room for anything on the other wall
to be honet joiner johns answer will be by far the easiest as long as the heads[top off the frames ]line up in the corner

I know this is an old topic but it seems best to describe my problem.

I have the same issue as above where 2 door architraves meet in a corner and I need to trim one or both.

I am happy making a good cut down the length of the architrave but how do i make the mitre with the top piece? A 45deg mitre will not work with 2 different widths.

Do i just alter the angle of mitre?

It does work, but each header architrave has to have the end where it meets the narrow piece cut off squarely, by the amount that you are reducing the upright piece by. No matter how you try, they will not meet at a point in the top corner unless you have plain timber and alter the angles, which will look odd.
The simplest way to do this is to cut your header at 45°, then from the lowest point of that mitre, mark the width of the reduced upright. You will then see where the top corner of the header piece needs to be nipped off. Because you are not working with the full width, when you mitre the upright, it will be a little shorter overall than the other side.
Hope this makes sense.

Thank you Misterhelpful.

I understand what you are saying. It's simple really!
Think I was making things more complicated than they needed to be.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back