Non-return valve on thermostatic shower

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there

Do non-return valves on a thermostatic shower reduce the water pressure coming out? (using a combi boiler).

thanks
Jeremy

Sponsored Links
No they shouldnt do and its a good idea to have them installed to stop back feed from cold supplies which is a common problem with thermostatic showers with combis

What do you mean by "feed back from cold supplies" in practice?

Sponsored Links
well if you think about how a combi shower works the cold water comes direct from the mains where the hot has to go through the combi boiler so will encounter plate heat exchanger , flow restrictor etc so cold will in most cases be at a higher pressure/flow rate to the hot and if the mixer valve is not 100% then you get cold blending back into the hot supply

Well i've just bought a water pressure gauge. The water pressure coming out of the shower is disappointing following installation of a combi system, but the hot water coming out of the kitchen tap is ok. Installed a Worcester 34CDi. The plumber told me the cold water pressure was about 3 bar.

I think you are confusing water pressure with flow rate, the amount that comes out of your shower head is flow rate, to be honest water pressure doesnt really mean much its flow rate you are interested in, you measure flow rate with a cup called a weir guage, water pressure is the pressure that the water in your pipe will reach with nothing flowing and to be honest means diddly squat to anyone except a system designer and what pipe fittings to specify to withstand such pressure

You can get a good idea of the flow rate you are getting with a bucket and a watch.

Just time how long it takes to fill a bucket of known capacity - eg if it takes 30 seconds to fill a 10 litre bucket, the outlet is delivering 20 litres per minute.

Your boiler's capacity to heat water may limit the hot flow rate you can achieve with a reasonable hot water temperature.

Well here are my stats:

At garden tap:
Water pressure: 2.5bar
Flow rate: 20L per min

In bathroom:
Thermostatic shower valve (38C): 13.5L per min
Hot bath tap: 13L per min

DHW temp: 48C
Cold water temp: 10C

Boiler Worcester 34CDi

So do the bathroom flow rates appear reasonable? Because frankly I am a little disappointed!

So do these bathroom flow rates seem ok? The plumber suggested removing the non-return valve to improve the flow. But based on the manufacturers handbook, it doesn't appear I can get much more DHW flow.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back