None DIYer seeking basic advice on embarrassingly basic job!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have a tendancy of being a bit of a Frank Spencer when it comes to DIY so tend to get the cheque book out before any tools.

I have just had a plasterer round to fix the bathroom ceiling, and while he was here I asked him the best way to get rid of some indentations and lumps in my corridor wall.

He kindly left me some plaster in a bowl, and suggested I just use p120 sandpaper to sand the offending area, mix some plaster with water and put it on, and then wipe with a cloth?

So I have a bowl of plaster with no idea how much I should be mixing with how much water. Tablespoons? Teaspoons?

zVh5jfql.jpg

And the various offending areas on the wall...

3KTO26cl.jpg

VcnrOaml.jpg

2JKqsiul.jpg

y5T82qFl.jpg

So when it protrudes I'm sanding down, applying *some* plaster, do I leave it before wiping? Or let it dry then wipe?

Or should I just sand, apply the plaster, let dry, then sand again?

I've seen people suggest to dampen the 'holes' to help the plaster stick?

This is probably a 2 minute job, but I really need to know how much plaster from that bowl I should be mixing with how much water, and how to get as good a job done as I'm capable before painting (I can paint!).

Sorry if I offended anyone with my terribly basic questions!

Sponsored Links
Just add some powder to a half cup of water till you get a creamy constituency.

Let it dry then give it a light sand.

Is that wallpaper that has blistered?

Dump the plaster he left you it will go hard in a few minutes and be too hard to work with. Buy a packet of pollyfilla or similar and a filling knife, you often get plastic filling trays with a couple of spatulas attached. mix up the filler note how deep the filler can be usually only about few mm at a time, so if a deep hole fill in stages. Fill slightly proud and when set sand down with 80 or 120 paper over a block, either buy a sanding block or use a bit of spare wood about 2" x 3".

At a guess the marks on the wall are from nails in the plasterboard that have moved check to see if you can see any rust in the hole, if so touch up with some oil based paint first.

Sponsored Links
Just add some powder to a half cup of water till you get a creamy constituency.

Let it dry then give it a light sand.

Is that wallpaper that has blistered?

There is a towel heater in the bathroom on the other side of there, all but the first picture (which is a larger area caused by the handle from the front door being deeper than the doorstop the previous owners fitted) are all in a line going up.

The bottom one is open, and reveals a solid silver head, seems in decent nick, not rusted.

EDIT:
There is also a weird 'lump' in a corner wall in the corridor, not sure what is causing this, or whether I should just ignore it and just paint over.

sU6IcAml.jpg

95DO1xOl.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back